GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at the sir michaels rolls pans on truckperformance.com, and it says that non of them are "D.O.T approved, not intended for street use". Does this mean if I got a sir michaels, even if it had a license plate box, that the cops would be pullin me over?

I also want to know if I can get the roll pan and the hidden hitch, but not the spare tire relocator. I figure i can just toss the spare in the bed, so would this eliminate the need to get the spare tire relocator, or do i still need to get it?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I have my spare tire in my bed since i didn't get the spare tire relocater. As for not being D.O.T. approved i guess its because if you hit it it won't do anything like a bumper would except be crushed?

I've ran my pan for months and haven't gotten any complains from the local police! :bowtie:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did u have to take off the stock spare tire mount?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
The mount is just a little winch that hangs down so i cranked it all the way up so that it wouldn't vibrate or rattle and left it there.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanx

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
The thing a guy at a bodyshop told me is several vehicles came from the factory with rollpans ... namely the S-10 work trucks from several years ok. If it was legal for Chevrolet to sell them liek that, it should be legal for you to have one. As for the spare tire relocator, I don't think the factory spare will even fit, you have to run a smaller tire. Plus I think with the rollpan you would be able to see it when riding behind the truck.

·
Registered
930 Posts
yeah rollpans are illegal to put on your truck, its like running with no rear bumper. i believe it would have to be connect to the frame to be legal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chevy used to sell trucks with no rear bumpers at all! I haven't noticed that lately, but I don't see where it matters. The local law doesn't mess with anyone around here about it. If they did, they could spend 90% of their time writing tickets for roll pans!

Trey

·
Registered
11 Posts
It all depends on the laws in the area that you live.

bagged01extcab said:
Chevy used to sell trucks with no rear bumpers at all! I haven't noticed that lately, but I don't see where it matters. The local law doesn't mess with anyone around here about it. If they did, they could spend 90% of their time writing tickets for roll pans!

Trey
If you told that to a cop in Honolulu, I know those who have. The cop will say that if the dealer sells you the truck without the bumper you still have to go and buy a bumper. There are some s-10s that do not have the bumper but they can get tickets for the roll pan. I know it is B.S. but that is life. You take your chance if you want. Just like I got a ticket for obstruction of my liscense plate. When I built the bumper with the tinted plexi caver I knew that one day I might get a ticket. 2 years later I did.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
basically it comes down to how bored the cop is... and how bad his day is going. I get pulled over alot, and only one cop has mentioned my not having a bumper. Some cars don't come with a bumper... c4 and c5 vettes, no bumper :read:

·
Registered
397 Posts
bcubed said:
The thing a guy at a bodyshop told me is several vehicles came from the factory with rollpans ... namely the S-10 work trucks from several years ok. If it was legal for Chevrolet to sell them liek that, it should be legal for you to have one. As for the spare tire relocator, I don't think the factory spare will even fit, you have to run a smaller tire. Plus I think with the rollpan you would be able to see it when riding behind the truck.
Yeah I can see mine now with the stock bumper.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Badassilverado said:
Yeah it hangs down pretty noticeably but the factory spare fits easily with the relocator. It's just one bolt and the relocator pushes the tire back just far enough to fit. The winch still works too just no lock. I took my spare off after awhile.
Did it make your backend raise up any?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Badassilverado said:
I'm sure with the bumper and tire gone it raised it up but I didn't notice any difference :anitoof:
My 4/6 was little weird. When we set it down off the stands it looked like the backend was a little lower than the front but since then I think the front settled a little and its level now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts