GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K today Henrys(mooseman2005) cousin came to henrys hosue while we were there...he has a 3" BL like I do and he had a custom made skid plate on it...Since i start work(mbyae tomorrow) I was wondering if you guys think it is stupid to put a skid plate on a 3" BL...I was gonna make it out of diamond plate(same thing im using to make floor mats) and maybe use my parents laser cutter to make some cool design on it...

·
Registered
832 Posts
well it would look good but serve no purpose. It would bend easily. If you want something to stand up to some serious abuse i would get 3/8" or half inch steel make it in the shape you want then get diamond plate and weld it to the steel. So it has the diamond plate appearance yet still is very functional. If you dont see much offroad then just do diamond plate.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think half inch steel would make your truck sag....:crazy: I'd take a hint from the stock plates on my truck, they've got ribs bent into them which makes them a hell of alot stronger. If you can do that i'd go for it.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I would make a DOM tube frame then just weld .25" steel to it, much lighter and just as strong as it would be usign .5"

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
A few of my skids are 1/8" plate that have been dimple died, almost doubled the strength in bending. My full underbody skid will be only 1/4" or 5/16".

·
Registered
724 Posts
can you buy skid plates with out a prerunner bumper. I have a fab tech lift so I dont want it to say RCD or somthing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts