GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tell Sloan I said whatup
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that I am not a welder, and know that I can't do this as well as experts... I received a quote to: cut and reweld tranny cross member higher and more compact, place steel skid plate on it, raise gas tank 1-2 inches and build steel skid plate for the whole tank. My quote from the owner over the phone was nearly $800. To some I know this will sound very high, but it is alot of work and alot of welding. Anyone think this is realistic? It will be done by Drewbrothers Customs in AZ. I had my entire bag system done here and couldnt be happier. They do incredible work and are featured alot in Sporttruck Magazine (this month actually too) so Im not worried about the quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Tyler

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
That seems very high to me...you can get the Crossmember from KP Components for $125 i believe (trading yours out for theirs, not 100% sure how it works)

The gas tank raising involves alot more work. it was explained in another post. basically you pull the bed, cut out the brace and reweld it an inch higher. For the forward one you remove the rivits and space it up an inch and you are done. Trey did his and gave a great explanation, maybe he can help us out in this thread.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
prices i have gotten from diffrent shops

raise tank & skidplate should be around 250-350
tranny 200-300
oil pan skidplate 75-100

·
Registered
158 Posts
" basically you pull the bed, cut out the brace and reweld it an inch higher. For the forward one you remove the rivits and space it up an inch and you are done." That pretty much sums it up. You will have to notch the support braces under the bed, but only directly above the tank. It is alot ov labor due to having to remove bed, drop tank (be sure to not have much fuel in tank, as this makes it easier), cut and remove the rear support and raise 1" and reweld. The front one isn't difficult except removing those stinking rivets. Sometimes they can be a bitch. After doing the work, I would say $250-300 would be fair, and that includes a skide plate, which i didn't do. Remember the price of steal is high, and just the plate for the skid plate would be $$$$. I would probably charge $250 without the skid plate.

As far as the tranny crossmember goes, it is alot of work. Kp components does the crossmember for $125. That is a fair price, but it is the easiest part of the whole task. Cutting off all of the stock hangers is a little difficult. There are certain areas that are difficult to reach with a cut off disk, and don't forget the fuel lines are near. There is also some welding involved. Not difficult to get to with a lift, but is a bitch trying to do on the ground. I cleaned all of that damn coating off the frame in the areas I was going to be welding, but as soon as the frame gets hot, the coating melts, runs down the frame and onto you. That shit is hot and burns like hell! $200 for this is cheap, I would probably charge $250-300 for this.

I haven't looked at building a skid plate for the oil pan, but $75-100 sounds fair.

I hope this helps!
Trey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts