GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't ever slam my truck on the ground, and i know there has to be something bad about doing it, but has anyone every heard of some one breaking their truck by simply laying it out?

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
My truck dumps FAST. Faster than most people can handle. I'm talkin, drop-it-off-the-jackstands-right-onto-the-frame fast. When I first got it, I had no switch control, so I was slamming it on the ground A LOT. Really hard. Nothing has broken, knock on wood. But I imagine if you do it a lot something like a motor mount could break.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... where are you're valves mounted? Mine's fast pretty fast too. My valves are mounted on the sides of my frame under the front doors.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My friend had cylinders in his '94 Altima for about year and he eventually broke his engine support bar. He welded the bar but broke it two more times before he got fed up w/ the problems and put his car back to stock. Too bad, cuz his car is bad-ass, shaved up (everythin), 18's and a tight system.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I do it sometimes with mine, but not when it's all the way up. The only thing I can think of it hurting is maybe loosing some bolts somewhere from the vibration or ofcourse if you lay it out on an unflat surface and puncturing a hole in your oil pan or tranny, but you'd have to hit something hard and it'd have to be sticking up pretty high to do that. Ofcourse I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
the only time i really slam my truck hard is when i drop it using my alarm remote. it has like a 1 second delay, so once you hit the buttion the valves dump for 1 second, which is more than enough time to hit the ground.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
The main reason I put ball valves on my dumps is exactly this: I don't like to slam my truck on the ground. My dumps were still fast for my taste eventhough they are only 3/8". When I went to Roll Out at the dog park (don't go to shows much), I saw some nice trucks being hopped and they hit the ground hard. All I could think of is: something must be ready to break somewhere...
Rob,
You remember that nice BD'ed tahoe from Xtreem: nice truck and it was getting slammed like nobody's business...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
sierraon22s said:
My friend had cylinders in his '94 Altima for about year and he eventually broke his engine support bar. He welded the bar but broke it two more times before he got fed up w/ the problems and put his car back to stock. Too bad, cuz his car is bad-ass, shaved up (everythin), 18's and a tight system.
It broke from flex most likely. Unibody cars do wierd when you play with an adjustable suspension.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
grounded said:
It broke from flex most likely. Unibody cars do wierd when you play with an adjustable suspension.
Most certainly true.....I've seen a few get pretty ripped up underside from constantly dumping...mostly hondas.

Cameron

·
Registered
84 Posts
my dually has 1/2 valves but have reducers down to 3/8 my slams hard i slamed down a few months ago when it hit the ground the heater core pissed in the carpet. then wensday night when it slamed down in front of my house the rad. end tank sprung a leak

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
so would hitting sides be bad?
I wouldn't do it. I've see pics of cars that look like they were wrecked because the bodylines didn't line up right from flexing while hitting sides to side. Now doing it once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but if you want to play alot, I'd look for subframe conectors.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
grounded said:
I wouldn't do it. I've see pics of cars that look like they were wrecked because the bodylines didn't line up right from flexing while hitting sides to side. Now doing it once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but if you want to play alot, I'd look for subframe conectors.
looks like i won't be hitting sides anymore... well at least at every signal...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I saw an s-10 hop on me and it hit the ground and steam shot out from under every seam it could on the hood and all kinds of radiator fluid ran out from underneath. I just laughed cause he embarassed himself in front of his whole club, but they had to get it towed away. So yes, I imagine you can do some good damage, cause his broke when it hit (obviously).

I lay mine out with a few taps to each switch, I never hold them, cause the 3/4" valves dump pretty fast, especially in front.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts