GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Jake
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright I’ll make this thread for you guys. I’ve been looking for a square body in decent shape for over a year. Really wanted a short box but in my area they’re seriously $10k rust free and I couldn’t justify that. So I found this one and talked with this guy back and forth for about a month. Wanted $4k and the tranny was shot. Ended up getting it for $1200 and a set of super duty wheels I had sitting around.
The paints not perfect but it’s really not bad. Cab corners and rockers are decent but they’ll get replaced. Doors have a little rust on them but otherwise the rest of the body is in great shape. It’ll all get redone but I wanted to get it running and driving first.

here’s the day I picked it up. The night before I went to mount my winch on my trailer and the fucker was seized up. So went and got a come along or whatever you call it for $30. It was -15* and took forever it seemed to get it on the trailer. But we got it.

Anyways, got it home and shoved In the shop. Here it is at first glance.

So like I said the trans is out in this thing so I started by pulling the transfer case

then the trans

Which other than the top 2 bolts it wasn’t too bad.

inital plan was to just get the trans rebuilt, throw it back in and drive the fuck outta the truck. But while I got everything out I might as well get a new motor too right.
so I pulled the radiator and front clip and started taking off the accessories so I didn’t fuck them up pulling the motor.

got a cheap cherry picker and pulled the fucker out.

threw it on a pallet so I can keep it out of the way

not sure what I’m gonna do with it. Runs fine but it’s a 305, probably not worth much.

Anyways here’s the initial plans:
05 5.3 (have lined up)
4L60E (also lined up)
Dirty dingo motor mounts?
Painless standalone harness
Plastic fuel tank and new lines
Anything else I should need for swap?

Down the road plans:
Body work/paint
Remove visor
Very small lift, new shackles?
16x12 scorpios with ??? Tires
Possibly chop the frame and short box conversion

This won’t be an overnight build but I’ve been enjoying wrenching at night so hopefully keep you guys entertained

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Come to think of it I have a set of Tejas mounts sitting in my garage I already powdered you could buy.. @Slim if you would like. We didn’t use them because he said they can’t be used with the factory 700r4.. I’m not sure about a 60e tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jake
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it I have a set of Tejas mounts sitting in my garage I already powdered you could buy.. @Slim if you would like. We didn’t use them because he said they can’t be used with the factory 700r4.. I’m not sure about a 60e tho

shoot me a pm man we can probably work something out.

got some time this afternoon so I took off the box to access the fuel tank better. Gonna powerwash and then clean up the frame while it’s off

think I’ll just go with a single 20gal tank. Not gonna be driving this long distances so not worried about that

·
Jake
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Motor
out of an 05 suburban with 160kish for $550
noticed it's a Z vin so E85? do I need to do anything with that?

Now here come my questions, I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not worthless. Bought this project to learn more.
Air conditioning: if i'm not gonna worry about hooking it up right away, do I just cap off the compressor? Take the compressor off?
Manifolds: are they gonna clear my frame? I've read that I need firebird manifolds or something
Radiator: can i reuse my radiator? It isn't leaking and looks decently clean or should I upgrade?
Fan/s: since this engine ran electric fans, should I stick with them? Or get a mechanical?
Cam: is it worth it? don't plan on racing this thing but i'd like to fuck around a little with it. If I go with a cam, gimme some suggestions
Transfercase: Looks like I have a 208 tcase, that work on a 4l60E? or do I gotta do some switching?

More questions coming soon 📝

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Manifolds - schoenfeld headers makes a decent set of lt's for these swaps if you want to go that route.. had to cap and weld in a different o2 bung on driver tho cause it hit the frame rail speed engineering has shorties too
Compressor - just pull it off imo, system in the truck is dead now anyway
Radiator - should't be an issue to reuse, k5 runs at 190 on the factory radiator on with mechanical fan. Just clean it out real good
Run efans if you can.. would be cleaner and prolly more effective.. windstar fans work great for cheap
Cam - hell yeah, why not?

Also I like the cheyenne wall piece and Bush oil catchers

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Heres the k5 shortly after getting it in if it helps. Its very rough but it gets it done.. Not sure about flex fuel but we just ran new braided fuel hose to the fuel pump and used ans and tied into the 5.3's fuel rail.. will need to swap fuel pumps tho.. delco is what we used in the factory bucket

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,503 Posts
Whenever I was looking to cam my Sierra, everyone I spoke to kept pointing me toward a 216/220 duration .550 lift. The cam is an Elgin 1838P, but JEGS, Texas Speed, TrickFlow, and a few other companies use that same exact grind and just put it in their box. Only supporting mods for it is a converter stalled around 3000-3200, and Circle D has a budget 3200 stall that I think a few people on here are using. And of course springs rated to .560 lift or better. If you don’t want to fuck with a stall, then a BTR Stage 2 or equivalent is the biggest cam you can run on a stock stall without issue. I think benz88 is running one and Jack1181 is running Texas Speed’s equivalent.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Whenever I was looking to cam my Sierra, everyone I spoke to kept pointing me toward a 216/220 duration .550 lift. The cam is an Elgin 1838P, but JEGS, Texas Speed, TrickFlow, and a few other companies use that same exact grind and just put it in their box. Only supporting mods for it is a converter stalled around 3000-3200, and Circle D has a budget 3200 stall that I think a few people on here are using. And of course springs rated to .560 lift or better. If you don’t want to fuck with a stall, then a BTR Stage 2 or equivalent is the biggest cam you can run on a stock stall without issue. I think benz88 is running one and Jack1181 is running Texas Speed’s equivalent.

Ok. I’m ignorant, but certainly don’t believe you need a higher stall converter to run an upgraded cam.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,503 Posts
Ok. I’m ignorant, but certainly don’t believe you need a higher stall converter to run an upgraded cam.
If you go big enough, you’ll need a higher stall. Otherwise it’ll be a dog and drive worse than stock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts