GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 2WD

This started about a week ago when I was beginning a 1000 mile trip. The issue is that the steering wheel, or shaft rather, feels sloppy. There is a few milimeters of movement from side to side, top to top. Also, the entire shaft was able to be pulled out (towards me) a few mm, approx. the same amount as the side to side movement.

I took a couple of videos, hopefully they show exactly what I'm talking about. Last night I replaced the clockspring and the lower shaft bearing. Now the steering feels much tighter, and I am unable to pull the steering wheel towards me (very solid), but the slop from side to side still persists. It isn't that I can push the wheel from the side and it moves...if I grab the wheel at 3 & 9 and push 3 and pull 9, it the wheel rocks back and forth. That make sense?

Anyways, if y'all have any suggestions, I'll try em out. I've been told there is also an upper steering shaft bearing but from my disassembly work yesterday it looks like a complete PITA. I also couldn't find any parts on Rockauto.com...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74VZWG-vA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CGVz1AHhTM

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'd first check that your wheel nut has not worked loose. If it is not that then it is probably your tilt mechanism. I'd personally NOT drive around anymore till I got to the bottom of it. Not something I'd like to tempt.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd first check that your wheel nut has not worked loose. If it is not that then it is probably your tilt mechanism. I'd personally NOT drive around anymore till I got to the bottom of it. Not something I'd like to tempt.

Mr. 960
Can you elaborate on the "wheel nut" location? If it's the component that is behind the airbag package, yeah, it wasn't loose.

I've already driven ~1500 miles on it, it didn't get any worse.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yes the large nut. IIRC it is a 7/8 or something like that. Next would be the tilt mechanism. How does the truck steer? Any play at all? I don't think the movement is in your shaft.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
A part of the column gave away, A guy I work with has an 03 Sierra with a ton of slop/play in the steering wheel (up-down, side-side, in-out) but still steers good. He knows he's going to need a complete column.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the large nut. IIRC it is a 7/8 or something like that. Next would be the tilt mechanism. How does the truck steer? Any play at all? I don't think the movement is in your shaft.

Mr. 960
Nut was tight as hell.

Tilt? Not sure what to say about that, it works as it's supposed to.

Steering is fine, no play. Just did all ball joints and tie rod ends ~4k miles ago.

I don't see how the movement isn't in the shaft, or something that holds the upper end of the shaft.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update.

Even though I knew the ISS wasn't the problem, I replaced it anyways, and guess what? It wasn't the problem.

Back to the drawing board. I've been told that deep within the steering column is a plastic bushing and that this has most likely failed, allowing the slop / side to side movement. I'll be buying a junkyard steering column this week and will tear it apart to see if I can find this bushing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts