GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought this 01' 2500HD 6.0/4l80 i thought i smelled some coolant when i was driving, but tended to ignore the smell and drive on. Well a few weeks ago driving down town for a date night with my woman, the "LOW COOLANT" light came on the DIC and it concerned me. Truck heats up fine, doesn't overheat, the light resets on it's own over a period of time from not running. I'm leaning towards something to do with the heater core, but would like to know if anyone has had this problem.

Thanks,

Jack

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
How many miles on it? Have you looked at the water pump, if it has never been replaced I would start there.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
140k what exactly should i be looking at? it's not leaking that i can tell. would have to park it in the shop overnight for a day or two to see if it leaks on some cardboard. I'm not one to just start throwing parts at a truck until i have it nailed down pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
take a white terry cloth or paper towel and wipe under the w/p and inside the pulley....any nasty crap come off and u got a leaky water pump.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
take a white terry cloth or paper towel and wipe under the w/p and inside the pulley....any nasty crap come off and u got a leaky water pump.
would that be the cause of me smelling the coolant inside the cab?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
maybe....coolant smell can get in the cab :shrug:

would tell u if its not the w/p tho...u gotta start with the easy stuff.

If you had a coolant leak inside the cab, ur pass side carpet would smell like coolant too. Sniff around there and see if the smell is stronger in that area.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
This. Could be coming out of the weep hole. If it's clean, move on to the next thing. I guess if you want an even easier first test, lift up the passenger floor mat and check for dampness/odor.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the tough liners in my truck so if there were any leaks i guess i would have noticed some wet spots on the mats. i'll take a look around there tonight and report back later. also i'll check around the w/p too.

·
OEF/OIF USMC
476 Posts
That's exactly the experience I had with my wp. Took me forever to narrow it down because there weren't any wet spots in the garage. I initially thought it was a bad gasket. Anyway, get under your truck on the drivers side. I found if you lock your wheels to the left, it's easier to see it from the drivers wheel well(on my truck at least). Your wp will be on the bottom, right side of the engine block if you were to look at the block from the front of the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had a smell of coolant inside my 05 Suburban with 6.0. There was never a drop of coolant on the garage floor. Mine turned out to have a small leak in the radiator tank seam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts