GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GMFS Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my truck started smoking on cold starts. It only does it when the truck has been sitting for about 10+ hours and clears up after a few seconds. Drives fine, gauges read fine, doesn't smoke any other time. I got a video of it today. As you can hear there's a popping noise and then smoke. You guys got any ideas of what it could be? Valve stem seal? Trucks got almost 68k on it

http://youtu.be/xsHpRIxDU54

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
oil in the cylinder. most likely valve stem seals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
White smoke tends to come out the truck coz it has inadequate heat. It's aggravated by cold weather. Aside from the valve stem seal, you can also check your glow plugs, it should heat your engine.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
White smoke tends to come out the truck coz it has inadequate heat. It's aggravated by cold weather. Aside from the valve stem seal, you can also check your glow plugs, it should heat your engine.

No glow plugs in a gas engine.

·
Registered
728 Posts

This is awesome advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
white smoke tends to come out the truck coz it has inadequate heat. It's aggravated by cold weather. Aside from the valve stem seal, you can also check your glow plugs, it should heat your engine.
ayfkm

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
You should retrofit a block heater for the cold Georgia climate.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
is it smoke or the white condensation steam that we all deal with up north?

edit: that rolls like smoke, maybe an issue with coolant since its pure white?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Umm, ya no glow plugs. But also I don't see how your tires have anything to do with it. Maybe Valve guide seals? Not valve stem?

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
is it smoke or the white condensation steam that we all deal with up north?

edit: that rolls like smoke, maybe an issue with coolant since its pure white?
Maybe connect a hose from the exhaust tips to the window, that way you can smell it. :shrug:

·
GMFS Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I don't think the problem is my nonexistent glow plugs struggling to heat the engine in my 65 degree garage.....

Definitely smoke. I'd suspected it's the valve guide seals but wanted other input. Gonna take it in either way cause I don't have the know how to start tearing apart my engine, so I'll let them figure it out I guess

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Maybe excess oil build up from the pcv in the intake that gets sucked in on start up?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just means you have a free diesel! Just kidding. I'm thinking Blue 04 is onto something though, the pcv valves like to fail if older and and perhaps its sucking that in?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Maybe excess oil build up from the pcv in the intake that gets sucked in on start up?
Just means you have a free diesel! Just kidding. I'm thinking Blue 04 is onto something though, the pcv valves like to fail if older and and perhaps its sucking that in?
i dont think so as it seams to happen after 10 hours of sitting like the first post says. my old 4.3l did the same thing, smoke after sitting a while but if you shut it off after driving and come back like an hour later it wouldn't smoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts