GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you smoke a set of taillights yourself? Also, how hard would it be and around how much dough would I need? Thanks.

I have these on my truck and I think they would look better if they were smoked a lil darker, but not too much.
carbon_fiber_euros.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've heard of people using spray on tint from hobby shop. Never done it myself, but I hear that is one way to do it. Dunno what the legality of it all is either. I know covers are illegal, but cops around here don't give you much crap unless they are on after dark. :(

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
silverado_dude said:
How do you smoke a set of taillights yourself? Also, how hard would it be and around how much dough would I need? Thanks.
Get you some VHT Nite Shades tail light paint, I used it on my tail lights on my Malibu. It works great cause it darkens them but still has a red tint, Jegs has it Nite Shades

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got any pics of what it looks like on your malibu Bill? Its just hard to spray something on my taillights without knowing of what it will look like.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
silverado_dude said:
You got any pics of what it looks like on your malibu Bill? Its just hard to spray something on my taillights without knowing of what it will look like.
I do, will have to post them when I get home .. the tail lights are done with the VHT Nite Shade and have blue dots, look Purple at night :head: and the front turn signals are done with spray tint as someone else suggested. The reason for not using the VHT on the front is it has a reddish tint, the turn signals are yellow, so the end result is sort of an orangish color which cops pick up on in a heartbeat .. so stick to the VHT only on the tail lights :read:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Ok, here are stock Malibu tail lights

Here's mine (older pictures from some car shows when it was my uncles car)
malibu2.gif

malibu1.gif

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
go to a hobby store and get RC car spray tint. its the same stuff as the non-red tinted niteshades. be sure to spray it on very lightly because the stuff is very watery. just keep adding light coats until you have the desired darkness. and if you don't like it when you get done, take some rubbing alcohol to it and it'll be back to normal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
slimm44 said:
go to a hobby store and get RC car spray tint. its the same stuff as the non-red tinted niteshades. be sure to spray it on very lightly because the stuff is very watery. just keep adding light coats until you have the desired darkness. and if you don't like it when you get done, take some rubbing alcohol to it and it'll be back to normal.
Just get the NiteShades... Used it numerous times and have never been hasled. Looks excellent on a black vehicle and holds up very well. Use numerous light coats and you will be all set. NiteShades is designed for tail lights so the light comes thru very well.

LK

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
niteshades and rc tint are the same exact thing from my experience. i suggested rc tint since i couldn't find niteshades in my area but could find rc tint. other places might be like that too.

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
You can also sand 'em down yourself with some 1500 grit paper and take it to a body shop and have it done with automotive grade paint.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
El Padrote said:
You can also sand 'em down yourself with some 1500 grit paper and take it to a body shop and have it done with automotive grade paint.
You can't paint your tail lights with car paint, has to be translucent, couldn't see them ... now if you meant translucent paint or tinted clear, that's something else.

·
Registered
716 Posts
bcubed said:
You can't paint your tail lights with car paint, has to be translucent, couldn't see them ... now if you meant translucent paint or tinted clear, that's something else.
Actually, you can paint them w/ automotive grade paint. Thats what I did; used automotive paint. The light is still visible day and night. I used about 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
sierraon22s said:
Actually, you can paint them w/ automotive grade paint. Thats what I did; used automotive paint. The light is still visible day and night. I used about 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear.
Sorry, but I don't buy it .. Opaque paint over your tailights isn't gonna let light out .. got some pictures?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
they have candy colors... my paint guy does them all the time. They usually come out pretty bitchin. I personally don't like the look but oh well. There is some website online that sells covers that look pretty good. the WestCoast Customs escalade had a set on it

·
Registered
716 Posts
bcubed said:
Looks good, but looks like a translucent paint or a tinted clear to me .. you can still see the red of the tail lights, if it was an opaque paint and 3 coats, the tail lights would be totally covered and you wouldn't be able to see them.
I may have been mistaken on the type of paint that was used. They were done in Jan. so it was some time ago and I have a bad memory. I didnt actually see what kind of paint was used, I was just told that it was automobile grade paint. I just saw my paint guy paint em but didnt see w/ what kind of paint. My bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts