GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, all the others came out smoothly but one the head snapped off and it just looks like a stud sticking out of the head. is there an easy fix for this? they manifolds came off because i got pacesetter lts and i cant seem to get the rest of the bolt out of there. or you think its ok to be short one when installing my headers?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
which stud is it (drivers/pass. side? front 2nd, 3rd, back?) im assuming you've already soaked it down in some penetrating oil like PB and you've tried sticking a set of vice grips on it to try and turn it out? also, is there any of the stud protruding from the hole? if so, you may be able to heat it up and twist it out. if there is enough protruding out, you can have a nut welded to it and then back it off. if the stud is broken off in the head, you'll be pulling the head to fix it:imo you may get lucky and be able to get it out with an easy-out solely depending on which stud it is. that sucks to hear. i used two cans of PB when removing my manifolds. i soaked the bolts down the night before pulling the manifolds. that morning i resoaked them and while backing the bolts out, i turned them left and right a few times in order to make sure that they broke free from the threads inside the heads.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you can try drilling it out a bit and using some easy outs. if that fails put a nut on top of it and fill the inside of the nut with a weld so it welds to the top of the stud, just make sure you dont weld it to the engine :D

Wrse case youll have to drill it out and retap it or use a thread insert

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the drivers side closest to the firewall... it didnt back out at all the head of it snapped off but the stud is still there. i used pb blaster days before removing the bolts i soaked them a couple times a day seeing that i wasnt driving the truck anyways. but i did try getting it with vicegrips and it was a no go. i will try the vicegrips+heat this time hopefully it works...

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
still no go? sucks that its the backbolt..i forsee you pulling the head:imo those head bolts are torque-to-yield fasteners as well. if you do pull the heads, you'll need to get new head bolts, FYI.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Or is there enough room to put 2 nuts on there? then just loosen the inner and it should spin out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still no go? sucks that its the backbolt..i forsee you pulling the head:imo those head bolts are torque-to-yield fasteners as well. if you do pull the heads, you'll need to get new head bolts, FYI.
i know the deal about having to get new head bolts and gasket. also that you have to drain the coolant, or should anyways before removing the head...but is it really that hard of a job to remove the head? or is it just the time it takes to do it but its not too bad?

If you have a MIG welder.... Weld a nut on whats left of the bolt.
thats going to be a last resort...borrowing my buddies.

Or is there enough room to put 2 nuts on there? then just loosen the inner and it should spin out.
never thought of that! thanks...im going to try that tonite. but there isnt enough thread for 2 bolts because it didnt back out enough. so im going to tapp more thread onto the stud sticking out enough so i can get 2 bolts.

thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, finally i got the stud out of there. with a combo of pb blaster 3 times a day for 2 days. then i heated it up and went at it with vice grips for about 2 hours. but it surely but slowly came out, a big relief on my part with that one. thanks alot for the help guys:shake:.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
congrats man no one wants to take a head off for a header swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts