GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my 88' chevy K1500, TBI 350, 700R4 I have been having some troubles. At first, my engine wouldn't fire. I was getting fuel spray out of my injectors, it just wouldn't fire. I replaced the coil and everything seemed fine, except that my injectors would no longer push fuel. I primed the engine with gas, and it took off untill it died. I pulled the fuel line off at the inline filter, and tuned the key, only to get no fuel.
Ok, so I replaced the fuel pump. Now I have fuel pressure, and the gas guage works for the first time since I've had the truck. Problem is that now there still isn't any fuel pushing out of the injectors.

My only thought is the ECM is bad. I had it go out once before and it did this, but when it did it, it was because my alternator went bad and fried it with a/c current.

So does anybody have any suggestions as to anything else that would be wrong? I don't want to spend $90 on a reman. ECM from GM only to have it not fix my problem. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, took the fuel line off at the throttle body and it started pushing out all over my motor cause I didn't think to put the end of the line in a container. This is really frustrating because it's one thing after another.

Somebody on FSC told me to check the ignition control module. Would that make my injectors not fire?

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, so I know it's in the distributor, do I have to take the distributor out to get to it? And what would I have to do to replace it?

Also, how do I check the codes on my ECM? I did it once like 3 years ago but I don't have the repair manual anymore. Thanks.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
On my old 88 I had to replace the dam distributor to get it running again. Your problem sounds really similar to what minde did.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Distributor would make sense, I had some of my buddies in the auto-tech program (they're graduating in 3 weeks so I'd hope they know something) look at the cap & rotor when I replaced it and they said it looked like the rotor was pushing up on the cap. I had the new one in for 3 weeks and it looked the same way.

I'll go check the codes and see what my ecm says. I'll probably pull the distributor tomorrow if it's not pouring rain again and see what it looks like.

Edit: so, the ECM reports no codes. Most likely because I had it pulled out the other day and was trying to find one to swap in and see if it was the problem. So, back to the module...

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOOOHOOO!!! IT RUNS!

One of the connectors on the back of the distributor wasn't plugged in all the way. Took the cap off and touched it and it fell out, so I plugged it in, put the cap back on, and away she went!

Sooo happy to have the truck back. THANKYOU for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts