GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4.8 with the 5spd is a little cheaper than the 4.3 with the auto. I have read a lot that the 5 speed is horrible, but it may be the only way I can afford the 4.8, since the auto is an extra $1000, that is unless i go up to the SLE which is like $4000 more :insane:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BuiltNotBought99 said:
I would go with the 4.8 5spd, but i like 5spds personally.
do you have experience with the GM 5 speed?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Which one? there are two. If its the 5 speed I'm aquainted with, its not bad. Its geared a little low at the bottom end, but other than that its a good little box. Everything except the suburbans here at philmont have a 5 speed of some sort, either the NVG3500 or NVG4500, which are practically the same thing gear wise except the 4500 is heavier duty. I'd like to swap a 4500 in place of my auto...but then again I'd much rather have a manual than a auto anyway. I just find autos to be less predictable and not lasting as long, having more wearing parts etc.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would guess it is the weaker of the two manual options being it is in a low end truck. I personally love having an automatic. I hate sitting in traffic constantly shifting. A manual can be a lot of fun, but personally prefer automatic. My reccomendation, drive em both and see which you like better and go with it. Nobody knows what you'll like and want better than you do.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
the only thing i dont like about the NV3500 in my truck, is how far the shifter moves between gears. i think the V6 and V8 both have the NV3500. i emailed Mr. Gasket poeple and they said they do make a short throw shifter for the new GM trucks. i'll see if i can find the part number they gave me, if anybody is interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts