GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my LQ4 is burning coolant, very badly. I cant see it leaking from anywhere, and you can tell by the thick cloud of white smoke, its burning it. None in the oil, no oil in coolant. Seems its just burning it.

Truck is getting a rough idle/random misfire code. Which I imagine are associated?

So Leads me to believe needs head gaskets.

I did some digging, but cant come to a clear answer.

How big of a job is it? And whats the best gaskets to use? I see its best to use GM gaskets & bolts?

anyone have torque and sequence instructions? Loctite on all bolts?

How tough of a job is it? Are those bolts known to snap atall?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
its really not that hard of a job
the first time I pulled the heads on my 5.3 I used stock gaskets and bolts, the second time I did heads on it I used cometic gaskets with stock bolts, with this setup I use cometic and arps. never had a issue with any of them. stock will be fine for you.
biggest thing is to make sure you clean and chase the bolt holes very very well. cant have anything in them at all
I never used Loctite, I just looked online for the torque sequence. it will be done in degrees. torque to certain number then do a couple sequences of degrees.
I don't remember what it is cause I now run ARP head bolts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
:pow: oem mls gaskets and arp bolts. Have fun, eh!

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:pow: oem mls gaskets and arp bolts. Have fun, eh!
Yea, I'm less than pleased. Its drinking coolant like a college kid drinks beer on spring break.

ARP's are super expensive, and overkill. I am going to go OEM for everything. As I get 10% off.

I've never had torque to degrees before, But I guess I will find out

·
15 RCSB Z71
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain 6.2L
3,447 Posts
Pfft seems like a good time to just do that lq9 you want, then you can even put your vmax badges on too!

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Yea, I'm less than pleased. Its drinking coolant like a college kid drinks beer on spring break.

ARP's are super expensive, and overkill. I am going to go OEM for everything. As I get 10% off.

I've never had torque to degrees before, But I guess I will find out
OEM bolts are one time use, boss. If you fuck up the install or u need/want to do something....u gotta buy new bolts again. ARP isn't just about "overkill" its also about being able to reuse :read:

u ask for advice but then reply like u already know what ur doing and what is overkill. :nono: :wank:

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
i did HG on my LQ4. I used Felpro gaskets and I believe their bolts too. I followed the Chilton's manual directions. No issues.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OEM bolts are one time use, boss. If you fuck up the install or u need/want to do something....u gotta buy new bolts again. ARP isn't just about "overkill" its also about being able to reuse :read:

u ask for advice but then reply like u already know what ur doing and what is overkill. :nono: :wank:
Will take almost 2 weeks to get ARP's to me. I cant wait that long.

I am going to try and find a full Felpro setup. Seems many use that, and work well. OEM will work also though.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
The ARPs are worth it for peace of mind of knowing you are at proper torque values. Doing TTY bolts seems like a giant headache to me. I wouldn't go anything other than OEM for the gaskets.

How many miles are on your engine? Might look into doing new lifters and lifter trays while you are in there.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ARPs are worth it for peace of mind of knowing you are at proper torque values. Doing TTY bolts seems like a giant headache to me. I wouldn't go anything other than OEM for the gaskets.

How many miles are on your engine? Might look into doing new lifters and lifter trays while you are in there.
78K miles

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
iirc he didnt even want to do the oil pump when the engine was out of the truck. I doubt that he will do lifters.
No need! Truck still makes awesome oil pressure

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It'll continue to make awesome oil pressure until it doesn't anymore :thumbsup:
it has 78K on it. No need to replace oil pump & chain that early.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
:haha:

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
4.8 swap :read: