GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to find out if the '04 1500 Z-71s come with the wiring all set up for a transmission temperature gauge install. I've heard that if you swapped out the stock bezel with an escalade's (which has the tranny temp gauge) it will work...is this true? If so, srather than drop the $$ on a new bezel, I'd like to add a single gauge and pod (found them on TByrne's site).

Could someone help and explain how to go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yup they are wired up for the factory gauges a la HD trucks, Escalade, Denali, etc.

You'll have to add a sender to the pan for the new gauge to work as I'm almost certain they work off different resistance levels...

·
Registered
343 Posts
JoeB said:
I'd like to find out if the '04 1500 Z-71s come with the wiring all set up for a transmission temperature gauge install. I've heard that if you swapped out the stock bezel with an escalade's (which has the tranny temp gauge) it will work...is this true? If so, srather than drop the $$ on a new bezel, I'd like to add a single gauge and pod (found them on TByrne's site).

Could someone help and explain how to go about doing this? Thanks in advance.
yep, if you swap in the new bezel it will hook right up. I wonder if you could somehow remove one of the temp gauges from say a wrecked truck and install that in your gauge pod???

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
GMCtrk said:
yep, if you swap in the new bezel it will hook right up. I wonder if you could somehow remove one of the temp gauges from say a wrecked truck and install that in your gauge pod???

That sounds like a lot of work! I've seen used Escalade/Denali clusters for like $125-150...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hit Man X said:
That sounds like a lot of work! I've seen used Escalade/Denali clusters for like $125-150...
also, remember you have to get your mileage reprogrammed as well

·
Back from hiatus..
600 Posts
this is a cool idea (swapping the escalade cluster) but i have a 5 speed on my 03 so the guage wouldn't work, also, the PRND321 lights would be annoying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys-

I'm not intersted in swapping out the stock gauges. I'm just asking how I would go about ADDING a single, 2.5" gauge mounted in one of those plastic pillars that attach between the windshield and side window.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
JoeB said:
Guys-

I'm not intersted in swapping out the stock gauges. I'm just asking how I would go about ADDING a single, 2.5" gauge mounted in one of those plastic pillars that attach between the windshield and side window.

Oh I see... well just purchase the pod for the gauge, purchase the gauge, and follow the included instructions for the sender install as well as wiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding is that the sender is already there it is just the gauge and gauge face overlay that is required to make it work. If you look here;
http://www.streetinspiredkustoms.com/ and search for "Transmission Temp. Gauge Conversion Kit" It shows what all comes in the kit, It's made by US Speedo.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yes the sender is there from the factory... but it won't work with a regular off the shelf AutoMeter type of gauge due to resistance levels I'm almost certain of...

How much is that conversion setup?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hit Man X said:
Yes the sender is there from the factory... but it won't work with a regular off the shelf AutoMeter type of gauge due to resistance levels I'm almost certain of...

How much is that conversion setup?
Looks like $150.00 for the conversion.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
JoeB said:
Looks like $150.00 for the conversion.

Hrm...not much better off versus swapping the entire cluster. :bawl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the US Speedo kit on my '03. The kit consists of the gauge motor, needle, factory-look overlay, and small light bulb. The gauge relies on the factory-installed temp sensor, so nothing to worry about with the sensor installation.

Installing the kit is fairly simple, although there's some meticulous soldering required. It took me about 1.5 hours to install. Works awesome, and looks like a factory install when finished. Best part is that you don't have to worry about re-programming an odometer, or worry about someone later questioning the actual mileage of your vehicle.

I think I spent ~$140 for the kit. Pretty sure you're not going to find an HD or Escalade cluster anywhere close to that price, and a dealer likely will charge for the reprogramming.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well if you need to reprogram the cluster for milage...why not get a used one? They are ~$150 on car-part.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Well if you need to reprogram the cluster for milage...why not get a used one? They are ~$150 on car-part.com
Not sure where you're getting those figures. The 2003-2004 is different than '99-02. Also, you have to specify the 'HD' version to get the tranny gauge.

So, when I do a car-parts.com search on 2003-2004 HD clusters, I only see two instrument clusters for $200-$250. I've never seen an '03-'04 HD or Escalade cluster on E-bay or anywhere for less than $200. But maybe you're talking an older cluster. Also, you have to consider the cost of a dealer re-program. If you can find a complete cluster for $150, I agree it may be a simpler way to go.

Installing the kit is nearly the same amount of disassembly, and just requires a small amount of soldering. No hassles with finding a decent cluster, re-programming, etc. Doesn't anybody enjoy a challenge any more?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yes I'm refering to the pricing that would fit for my truck...I forgot he's needing one for an '04 model. :pow: New models cost more until they are old.

Reprgramming costs are around $50 I've heard from local speedo/gauge places around me.

If I was going through all the hassle of installing a gauge, I'd install a more accurate one than stock. OE insturments are not of the best quality. AutoMeter aren't super accurate either but they are far better than OE ones and work great for the money...I use AutoMeter's in my WRX and F150.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hit Man X said:
I'll have to make a trip down there, around the dfw metro, they run for about $250-350 used

1 - 17 of 17 Posts