GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03' Silverado RCSB fleetside 2wd and was looking under the box the other day thinking about future drops. Anyways I measured 6 inches of travel (not counting the giant factory bump stop) from the frame to the axle.

So whats the deal if you go........
.....with a 5/7 you have to notch out the frame or isn't it truely a 7 inch rear drop?
.....with a 4/6 you are touching with no bump stop or do you notch?
.....with a 3/5 you have a half inch bump stop and then a half inch of travel?
.....with a 2/4 you have a half inch bump stop and then a inch and a half of travel?

Thanks for the help, I'm still learning. :shake:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
MinnesotaFZR said:
I have a 03' Silverado RCSB fleetside 2wd and was looking under the box the other day thinking about future drops. Anyways I measured 6 inches of travel (not counting the giant factory bump stop) from the frame to the axle.

So whats the deal if you go........
.....with a 5/7 you have to notch out the frame or isn't it truely a 7 inch rear drop?
.....with a 4/6 you are touching with no bump stop or do you notch?
.....with a 3/5 you have a half inch bump stop and then a half inch of travel?
.....with a 2/4 you have a half inch bump stop and then a inch and a half of travel?

Thanks for the help, I'm still learning. :shake:
Let's see..
5/7- Notch is a MUST and even with that, your pumpkin will hit the bed support on large bumps so the suggestion is to trim the bed support to clear it (my experience). You will also have to get used to scraping frequently unless you raise your transmission crossmember...
4/6- Notch is a MUST.
3/5- You can drive without a notch, but it is suggested as you will bottom out even with button bump stops in large dips or bumps.
2/4- You should be ok without notching....

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
groundscraper said:
Let's see..
5/7- Notch is a MUST and even with that, your pumpkin will hit the bed support on large bumps so the suggestion is to trim the bed support to clear it (my experience). You will also have to get used to scraping frequently unless you raise your transmission crossmember...
4/6- Notch is a MUST.
3/5- You can drive without a notch, but it is suggested as you will bottom out even with button bump stops in large dips or bumps.
2/4- You should be ok without notching....
Werd! Perfectly said.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
groundscraper said:
You will also have to get used to scraping frequently unless you raise your transmission crossmember...
Once I went to a conference and it was at a Business Complex, I forgot about parking and drove my truck into the parking garage .. I scraped every level and parking was full so I had to go up several levels. You should have seen the terror in people's eyes as I grinded my way up each incline :LOL: I knew it was only my nasty huge tranny xmember but they had no idea ... on the way back down I figured a different way of approaching the ramps and didn't scrape at all coming down :head:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03Carbondogg said:
Werd! Perfectly said.
Thanks everyone, so you notched when you were running your 3/5?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
MinnesotaFZR said:
Thanks everyone, so you notched when you were running your 3/5?
I ran my 3/5 without a notch for about 5 months or so. It rode pretty good. I had to use the button bumpstops and it would bottom out every once and a while on big bumps or dips. I notched it when I went to a 7 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts