GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked and read on many tonneau covers. I found an Extang RT soft tonneau cover I want to get. Looked at the price of it from a specific site: $253.47 just itself.

Me and my mother talked about it. We can't use much money because we are pinching penies. She says she is not convinced of the gains from getting a tonneau cover.

Just confirm, I want to get a couple questions answered.

1. Are there any significant MPG gains?
2. What else will it significantly change?

·
LAKERS N DODGERS 4 LIFE!!
628 Posts
I have looked and read on many tonneau covers. I found an Extang RT soft tonneau cover I want to get. Looked at the price of it from a specific site: $253.47 just itself.

Me and my mother talked about it. We can't use much money because we are pinching penies. She says she is not convinced of the gains from getting a tonneau cover.

Just confirm, I want to get a couple questions answered.

1. Are there any significant MPG gains?
2. What else will it significantly change?

1. No
2. Not much

I like it because I have the bed carpet so it keeps it clen and dry, plus I always have stuff in my bed. And when I put the quads back there....you just remove the middle bars and roll it up:

This is the I have:

http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A3326A0A0A2359227.aspx

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
I bought the LeBra Ultralift II soft tonneau. It was under $200 online with free shipping. It's hinged, easy to install and doesnt require drilling. Also it is pretty low profile for a soft tonneau. The thing can be removed really fast by yourself as well. Also locks, but if you shaved your tailgate then the locks are pointless, b/c you have to unroll the edge of the cover to get to them.

Overall I think it's awesome for the money. Keeps my bed dry and does it cheap. As far as gas mileage I honestly dont know if it made a difference. But I never keep expensive shit in my bed unless it is back there on the way home. Still its nice to be able to put shit back there and not get it soaked in rain.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Gas mileage change, nope. Love having one though. Even though I don't have a tailgate lock, I think it keeps the tools in the back of my truck from getting stolen. No messy leaves, bugs, rain water, etc. in the bed.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, there are no economical gains...

·
LAKERS N DODGERS 4 LIFE!!
628 Posts
Not really................MAYBEEEEEEEE..........

0.5-1 MPG increase......

·
Registered
195 Posts
tonneau wont help you enough to justify the cost if your pinching pennies. id say pass until you get some expendable cash. family first man truck can wait

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tonneau wont help you enough to justify the cost if your pinching pennies. id say pass until you get some expendable cash. family first man truck can wait
That's what me and my mother discussed. It's not going to be long till summer for us comes, so that will open up opportunities for Summer jobs. I think bringing in some money will do some good.

covah23 said:
Just put a tarp over it.
Don't have a tarp.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
I tell ya what dude. If you wanna pay shipping, when my gaylorads comes in this week I'll give you mine. Its a Tonneau masters one, needs a good clean and armoyl. It has a couple broken buttons but other than that is good to go.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tell ya what dude. If you wanna pay shipping, when my gaylorads comes in this week I'll give you mine. Its a Tonneau masters one, needs a good clean and armoyl. It has a couple broken buttons but other than that is good to go.
Nah, I'll pass. Don't want a tonneau cover that much anyways right now. Sorry man, if I'm going to get one, it's going to be new.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
truxedoe is the way to go push a button it and roll it up no snaps or bows . snaps suck horse dicks. makes life easy when you need to haul something.can get it for 200 bucks off ebay. me i wouldnt go without a cover it makes your bed able to use similar to a trunk of car when needed which helps with luggage groceries etc and one like mine i can roll it up in 15 secs or so and use my truck like a truck. never got anything stolen while under my cover either.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I have in my bed is my Spare wheel/tire. It's only in there because the Spare tire cable is shredded, and have to get it replaced.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There are no mileage gains with it. It's been proven. That's just advertising. It's strictly for looks and if you want to cover crap you've got in the bed.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my answers, thanks.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I didn't notice any mileage gains. I think the extra weight of the cover offsets the decrease in wind resistance.

I like it, because I can keep my shit back there for days without having to worry about it. When the ex and I would go out of town, we could just throw all of our shit and all of her shopping bags in the bed so I didn't have to look at them. It just keeps your cab cleaner, IMO. It's also nice to carry guns back and forth.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing I'd need one for is to keep the tire from coming out of the bed, though, I haven't been in that situation where it has.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
yeah I have a Roll N Lock and it's great for moving back and forth from college, cause it usually rains at least once when you're traveling 400miles.

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
I've had a Checkerpro, and 2 LeBra tonneaus. I personally wasnt a huge fan of the Checkerpro. It just didnt lift up much and made the rear drop nearly 9" due to its weight. Plus it felt 'cheap' even though it cost $400ish. I preferred the LeBras, but if I had the moola I'd get a nice fiberglass low profile one, like a Snugtop or similar.

But right now I have a LeBra Low Profile soft tonneau. I love it. Peels off in seconds, removes the ribs and your whole bed is free to use. A sinch to put back on, unless its freezing outside. I wouldnt reccomend it if you want a completely secure bed, but it keeps things dry so it works for me. Doesnt cover the stake holes, but mine are shaved so it doesnt matter, lol.

I had a hinged LeBra soft tonneau before this one and honestly I prefer the low profile one. And it wasnt very expensive.

As far as mpg gains...well I dont believe its helped much, if any. I'd always gotten around 16-18mpg in my truck and it hasnt changed since I've had the tonneau on. It's still nice to have though. But I didnt buy it through Stylin, b/c it can be had for much cheaper elsewhere, with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Call 1-800-Jet Tarps
Excellent pricing 2-3 day shipping
I paid $185 COD for my tarp. Ordered it monday and got it on Wednesday afternoon for UPS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts