GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 GMC Sonoma 4.3L Vortec

My steering has a little play in it. No vibration, it simply isn't quite as responsive as it should be and drifts side to side slightly. I have visually examined the front end. I did not see any obvious damage, destroyed bushings, or loose parts. I am handy capable, but new to trucks and am curious if anyone has any tips on where to start or how to go about diagnosing the issue?

Thanks for your time

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Rag joint? Hows the alignment?

·
mud racing
155 Posts
first start with the easy:
have someone jump in drivers seat and unlock the steering column. have them turn the steering wheel vigoursly back and forth while you climb underneath and look at every point of the steering; rag joint where steering shaft meets box, sector shaft coming out of bottom of box, tie rod ends, idler arms, etc.
Open hood and rotate steering shaft by hand to see any play.
Jack up front end, and grab wheel at 12 and 6 oclock positions and push in and pull out, play indicates wheel bearings and/or ball joints. If you do have play, ghave freind rock the wheel while you look from underneath to see where the play is.
Also don't rule out underinflated tires and bad shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll get on that this week. it's not that bad but still annoys the hell out of me.
The alignment is good. It's not pulling, just loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts