GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2500HD that I have cranked up the factory torsion keys. I have also added Rancho 9000 shocks for a 2” lift and I’ve got a 2” block in the rear.

My upper control arm has about 1/2”-5/8” gap between it and the metal bumpstop. I also noticed that my yellow rubber bumpstop (jouncer) is torn and is about to break off (dry rotted).

The rough ride doesn’t bother me all that much but if I could soften it, then that would be great too. I’ve thought about adding some shock extenders for the lower shock mount. Would this help? I’ve been told that I should’ve gotten the Rancho 9000 shocks that were designed for a 4” lift instead of the Rancho shocks designed for a 0-2” lift.

Would it help to get some taller lower bumpstops to replace my torn ones to get the lower control arm closer to the bumpstop or would that reduce my downward travel? And if that reduces my downward travel, then why have those bumpstops at all?

BTW, don’t tell me to look into the Cognito leveling kit with new control arms or the Norcaltruck.com leveling kit with new control arms or a full suspension kit cuz none of those are in the budget.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Unless your shocks are over-exending or bottoming out (they shouldn't be), you don't need to get extenders. In your situation, extenders won't do anything to help the ride or help the shocks.

I would replace the bump stops with bumpstops that are within factory specs. I wouldn't add bumpstops that are taller... this will make your truck ride worse and you'll have even less wheel travel.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Rough ride is an effect of tb cranking. nothing will make it better. you limited down travel by cranking already

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The lower rubber "bumpstops" on these trucks are supposed to touch the LCA when at ride height...they're intended to give the suspension a more progressive feel. The Superlift 6" FIT kit actually provides new ones that are adjustable to help w/ the ride. I don't see any reason why slightly taller ones wouldn't be beneficial...the factory ones are obviously too short if the bars are almost maxxed. They might help the ride a little bit (especially on bumps, etc.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know you said dont say it. you cant get the ride back unless you change out the upper a-arm, to get your travel back. Your stuck.

The lower bump controls upward travel. Will not improve ride quality.
The gap between the upper arm controls the ride. small gap no ride. Big gap good ride.

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
I f you have 1/2"-5/8" gap between your UCA and droop stop then the Cognito kit really isn't going to improve travel much at all as it is designed tio be set to that spec. what I would do is jack the truck up...put it on a jack stand...remove tire...then let the suspension droop out all the way...then unbolt the lower shock mount and see if the shock extends more or if it is limiting the droop travel...that will let you know if you would need shock extenders or not. As far as the dry rotted LCA snubbers...they are there from the factory to provide a progressive spring rate per se...most have found that if you get the a gap between them and the LCA it actually provides a better ride.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I know you said dont say it. you cant get the ride back unless you change out the upper a-arm, to get your travel back. Your stuck.

The lower bump controls upward travel. Will not improve ride quality.
The gap between the upper arm controls the ride. small gap no ride. Big gap good ride.
Elighten me on how this will work. I dont belive it, but i can be wrong. But provide me facts and pictures that replacing an UCA will increase travel on a Torsion bar lifted truck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Elighten me on how this will work. I dont belive it, but i can be wrong. But provide me facts and pictures that replacing an UCA will increase travel on a Torsion bar lifted truck.
I flipped my Ball joints to crank to 3" I gained the travel of the BJ flip maybe and inch or so.

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I want pics to prove this. How much Net wheel travel do you guys get from UCA replacement? My thinking the only way to increase travel was to go long travel like race trucks. which is all custom built IFS

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I want pics to prove this. How much Net wheel travel do you guys get from UCA replacement? My thinking the only way to increase travel was to go long travel like race trucks. which is all custom built IFS

Replacing the control arms with some fucking tubular ones wont do shit. It will actually probley take travel away because the tubing is larger in diameter than the factor control arms square cross section is --- which means less travel. I run my ball joints on the bottom of the control arm which does raise the upper control arm (a bit) but I wouldnt go looking thinking that your going to get some mega fucking travel. Its bad enough that people didnt learn geometry or math in school but what happened to fucking common sense.... Im with you Maxxis.......... Hey we should start selling our own custom control arms and claim they give an extra 2" travel. I bet some dumbass around here would buy them. Im sure Er1c43 and Jthorn75 would jump on them like crazy. Help Er1c43 with his 42" tire install and Jthorn75 with improve travel for way higher frame bending jumps........:supergay:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
LMAO Wed be rich. And to all of you who thing UCA's will increas travel they wont. I need proof to prove me wrong. BVy increase in travel i dont mean 3/8" either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The upper arm tips the spindle in when you crank the torsion bars. Tip the spindle back out at the top when you are now cranked up. This changes the geometry of the suspension. This adds down travel. Also fixes balljoint angle.
this is how they get more travel. Also bumpstop placement.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
The upper arm tips the spindle in when you crank the torsion bars. Tip the spindle back out at the top when you are now cranked up. This changes the geometry of the suspension. This adds down travel. Also fixes balljoint angle.
this is how they get more travel. Also bumpstop placement.
Have you ever actually looked at how the stop is built for the UCA on newer chevy trucks......... Also we did state no long arms kits. Spend more time wrenching and less time knowing reading then you will have a better understanding.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Correcting ball joint angle is what those UCA's do, they wont give you any addtional wheel travel that will increase performance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes they will. I just talked to cognito. You can use the a-arm as a stock arm by mounting the balljoint on the top. By mounting the balljoint on the bottom, you are correcting balljoint angle and the arm gets farther away from the upper stop (increased gap. Thus adding travel.) makes sense to me.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
If so it does increase travel it isnt enought to acutally notice a performance gain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replacing the control arms with some fucking tubular ones wont do shit. It will actually probley take travel away because the tubing is larger in diameter than the factor control arms square cross section is --- which means less travel. I run my ball joints on the bottom of the control arm which does raise the upper control arm (a bit) but I wouldnt go looking thinking that your going to get some mega fucking travel. Its bad enough that people didnt learn geometry or math in school but what happened to fucking common sense.... Im with you Maxxis.......... Hey we should start selling our own custom control arms and claim they give an extra 2" travel. I bet some dumbass around here would buy them. Im sure Er1c43 and Jthorn75 would jump on them like crazy. Help Er1c43 with his 42" tire install and Jthorn75 with improve travel for way higher frame bending jumps........:supergay:

Wow. You drive a cognito and have no idea how it works.

If you have your kit set at 12" the balljoint should be on the bottom. I dare you to switch that to the top and see how bad the ride is cranked up. The arm adds 2" of down travel at the wheel with the balljoint on the bottom. This gives you the travel back you took away when you cranked the bars.

Read Cognito Website. You will understand. Thanks for talking all this junk about me, and your wrong. I dont even need to respond because you made yourself look bad.

It is simple geometry your right. However your facts are wrong.

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
If so it does increase travel it isnt enought to acutally notice a performance gain.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it gives a "performance" gain...it does however provide for more clearance at the UCA droop stop which in turn will make for a better ride due to not hitting the bumpstop and increasing downward travel nothing huge, but enough for a better ride over a truck with cranked bars and stock uca's. Shit cut the stops out all together and run limit straps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that it gives a "performance" gain...it does however provide for more clearance at the UCA droop stop which in turn will make for a better ride due to not hitting the bumpstop and increasing downward travel nothing huge, but enough for a better ride over a truck with cranked bars and stock uca's. Shit cut the stops out all together and run limit straps.
That would work except the alignment would still be close or not within spec.
And you will max out the balljoint.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts