GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ordered up a couple 40 series flows today from work (107$ for 2 of them hehe), so I'm probably gonna put them in here this weekend. I figure that will free up a couple ponies for me anyway. Also making myself a intake with a k&n replacement and probably gonna descreen the mass airflow sensor.

I was wondering if the cfm tech throttlebody is worth the 200 clams? Anyone here using it? Seems like a far better choice to the typical spacer . I could also just take out the restrictor plate plug it up polish the body and call it another free mod...decent enough gain to justify not shelling out the money for a cfm unit???

Also...Who in the hell makes headers that will clear an nv4500? Called up doug thorley and they said no dice without bringin it here.

One other thing...Where can I get a hella beefy clutch from?? Gonna need a clutch as the first real maintenance thing...plus I'd like to get one in before I lift it, put the locker/gears in and put 315's or whatever on...

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
The flowmasters sound good IMO, but if u wanna upgrade the perfromance get a magnaflow or dynomax, they would be the best for even more ponies then the FM.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
couple things.

-NO the throttle body spacer is not worth the money on a vortec motor

-descreening the MAF is a bad idea, its not killing power dont worry.

-being as a manual is very rare in that kind of truck, i doubt anyone makes headers for it. but call around to them all. if all else fails, look into shorty headers

-high performance clutch, check into Centerforce

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
On my 98 I had a tb spacer, which i think would make a little difference on a Vortec 350 since it would actually give the fuel more time to atomize (sp?) since its a tb instead of mpfi engine. I also had a K&N fipk and a true dual dynomax exhuast. All of which were pretty decent gains, the tb spacer bein the least of all.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
04HEMI said:
On my 98 I had a tb spacer, which i think would make a little difference on a Vortec 350 since it would actually give the fuel more time to atomize (sp?) since its a tb instead of mpfi engine.
the vortec 350 is an mpfi motor. the fuel atomizes in the cylinder

·
Registered
413 Posts
my throttle body spacer seemed like it made a difference on my vortec 5.7, but that might be because i put an airraid intake on at the same time :insane: . but it does make a cool whistling sound when i floor it, almost sounds like a turbo in a turbo diesel engine. :head2:

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Jeff said:
the vortec 350 is an mpfi motor. the fuel atomizes in the cylinder
dang really, hmm, been a while since i had my 98. welp, anyway, i thought it improved throttle response some, but i added it and the kn at the same time also, so who knows.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
97zHOE said:
he was talking about the complete replacement throttle body that cfm tech makes, not a spacer
well in that case HELL NO. unless he is gonna make it a HO 383 or put a supercharger, no way he will need a bigger throttle body

·
Registered
49 Posts
spacer made a difference on mine,especially in low end torque. K&N gen 2 intake made a little difference in mid to high rpms, MSD 6A w/ coil didnt make a noticeable difference maybe some throttle response, removing the diffuser plate of the throttle blade made a noticeable difference in the low end, descreen maf didnt make a difference, egr mod didnt make much of a difference, long tube thorley headers made noticeable gains throughout. true dual flowmaster exhaust with x pipe and no cats made a noticeable gains(with 02 simulators) Taylor 8mm wires and NGK TR55 plugs seem to give a little more throttle response. 4.56 gears=wow :head:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get a K&N FIPK or a voalnt intake.Get some hedman shorties if you can not find any others.Also I highly recommend a 93OCT tuned Westers PCM for your truck.I have a 97 with a vortec350 and after I installed the Westers it gained 25rwhp and 36rwtq.I had it dynoed before and after at MTI[motor sport technolongy].Also try electric fans,I did this on mine also and I love them.

·
I peed in your pool. Yay!
1,214 Posts
I had an airraid tb spacer on my 96 350 vtec and it would turn 305 buckshots over with 3.42 gears. Might not have been smart, but it would do it. I also noticed, when my fuel got low and i would gun it, it would stall. I didn't like that. Jake

They make air raid tb spacers where i live. $35. Not adonized.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan on making my own intake and just slapping on a K&N replacement. Decided to ditch the MAF idea, as it really makes no gains and can throw the sensors a bit outta wack.

Still searching for headers. I really don't want to go with shorties since in most cases they give you shorty gains. Do the thorleys unbolt from the tubes like the manifold or is it a one peice assembly? I might just pick some of those up since I see no reason they would not clear other then the downpipes. Definently wanting longtubes, though...

If I keep the truck and decide not to worry about a lq4(more then likely:yes), westers will come after I get all the boltons done.

I'm probably going to take the restrictor plate from the throttle blade now, and I think I will also polish the TB and get a spacer. I would imagine this would give me a greater gain over shelling out 200 bucks for the new TB.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also if I was you I would get some 3.90 gears or 4.10's.I went with 3.90's and I love them,made a big diference on the lowend big time.4.10's was to much for me though,3.90s are perfect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I cut the diffuser off my throttle body plate. That's noticeable really at low speed mostly at throttle tip in w/ much improved response. Later I took my Dremel that I port heads w/ and ported and tapered the bottom of the TB. That made a big seat of the pants improvement.
As to cold air intakes. I added a K&N filter and tapped into my box w/ a 5" aluminum dryer duct. I ran that through the inner fender to the wheel opening. Then I plugged off the factory inlet. This is very noticeable, especially on cool days. It also looks good. You really can't see it unless your looking. Except for the shiny 5" duct poking out between the fram and inner fender.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also addded 3.90 gears to mine but with a locker. The gear swap is a good call. As to my locker...well, it's a '97 ext cab shrt bed. I don't have the quick turning radius that my Jeep does so the force inacted on the locker to un lock it's self is less. So I learned to drive my truck slightly differnent. So I don't "drag" the inside tire. Depending on your driving style limited slip and 3.73 might be it. 4wheel parts catalog has a gear swap calculator table in it. That's kinda a nice reference tool for "GEAR vs. TIRE SIZE".

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Where is the diffuser plate that you cut off and do you have any pictures of what you did exactly? Im interested as it sounds like a worthwhile mod. I happen to have my dremel with me here at school so this might be one of the only mods I can do while here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's just what I call it. It's the little half circle plate rvited to the front bottom side of throttle blade. It made of aluminum so it comes right off. It was designed so the TB only feeds from one side at part throttle. I suppose this is one of those "Driveability Issues" that GM is always concerned about. And no I didn't take any pics...not really sure why. Then If you turn the TB bottom up, you'll see an extreme taper to the bore. All I did was enlarge and smooth this taper. Like you would an intake port radius. Really I didn't get too radical w/ it. This seemed like a better mod than a $100.00 aluminim spacer that only increases plenum depth not flow.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I understand about the taper, haven't gotten around to grinding that out a bit, but the plate sounds like a worthwhile mod, Ill have to pop off the intake and pull the throttle body and look.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts