GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my a/c has never given me ANY problems on the 89 until today. I hit the a/c for the first time this summer and the high pressure line blew apart instantly. I guess me sitting the compressor off to the side and letting it stay that way for a week didnt help the old rubber :pow:

If I just replace that hose would I be good to charge it or what else would I need to do? Im going to have it recharged with R-12. I cannt believe all that R-12 went into the air...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
^thanks for the huge gaping hole in the ozone layer, lol, j/k,

it may be ok to charge after replacing the line, but i would have it checked out, the problem with it all getting released quickly like that instead of a slow leak over time is that it gets so cold releasing the refrigrerant that it creates moisture/condensation which can destroy your cooling system, be sure that everything is clean and dry and have it looked at by a local shop before charging it, might as well update to 134a while youre at it as youre supposed to flush the system while doing that anyway, should help get rid of any moisture

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
134 does not cool as good IMO in a retro fit like this. Before this happened my air was between 32*-33* on low and 38*-39* on high. Id like to keep it that way.

It took a good 40 minutes for it all to leak out, so it wasnt all that fast. I guess we could pull a vac on it to be sure.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
that is true, 40 min might not have pulled in too much moisture, but pulling a vac is a good idea atleast

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me ask this also, when I wrecked it my condensor got pushed back into the radiator on the passenger side. It bent the center in the most. It has never leaked since so should I worry about replacing it? I think it should be fine right?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I would go ahead a replace it. Also, your going to have to pull a vacuum on the system regaurdless if you want to recharge the system with any kind of freon...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Let me ask this also, when I wrecked it my condensor got pushed back into the radiator on the passenger side. It bent the center in the most. It has never leaked since so should I worry about replacing it? I think it should be fine right?
to be on the safe side i would replace it, i mean yea it hasnt leaked yet, but where it bent just put all kinds of stress fractures in there that could propagate over time, especially with the constant expanding/contracting of changing temperatures, and vibrations of the truck, might as well get it all done at one time rather than have to replace that in the middle of the summer and wasted all that precious$$ on the expensive r-12 which currently almost 5x the price of r-134a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts