GMC Truck Forum banner

Spare Tire?

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gtjdvm 
#1 ·
Now that I have a 35 inch tire set up (315/75 X 16 Toyo), what do most of you do for a spare tire?

I doubt the OEM spare tire (245/75 X 16) would be functional.

Do you bother carrying a spare at all?
Do most of you purchase a fifth wheel and tire as a spare?
Is there an inexpsensive wheel/tire combination that will get me close to a 35 inch diameter?

Thanks,
Glenn

#2 ·
Do you have the 315? Keep it in the bed. I used to carry around my 265 under the bed were it came from the factory but recently took it out. I do put it in the bed on long trips, but dont carry it around Tifton. Soon I will be making an angled bed carrier to carry the 35 when I get one. Just keep it in the bed.

#4 ·
Just dont drive too far on the smaller spare and you will be fine. Or you could get any used 35 that will fit the stock rim and try to make it fit under the bed. - G

#6 ·
on my old truck i had my 37 mounted on a tire holder in the bed

#9 ·
here is my spare setup. 35x12.50 in stock location.

#10 ·
is it bad to run the stock spare with 315s? hard on anything?

i have stock differentials
Potentially, yes. But if you dont go far it shouldnt be too bad.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Unfortunately, since I have a Suburban the stock spare location is inside at the back attached to the left side as the gas tank occupies the typical location of below the bed behind the axle. A 315/75 X 16 won't reasonably fit in the OEM spare location.

Probably look at a fabrication of a rear bumper carrier or maybe a roof rack carrier for a 315/75 spare. Could just take the OEM spare as a little insurance as I understand if I don't go too far/too fast it would not likely hurt anything.

Cheers,
Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.