GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda plugs and wires do you guys run? im getting kinda bad gas milage right now so i was gonna go get some bosch plus 4's and some wires...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
IMO the plus 4's are totally pointless...

I'm running stock delco wires, cap and rotor with 99 cent delco plugs. I got 17.85 mpg on my last tank of gas, on a 10 year old truck with big ass tires and tall gears. And the plugs are a year and a half old.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I got mine at O'reilly's. I can't remember what the specific number was. I just told them I needed delco plugs for my truck, and thats what they give me. Remember to gap them correctly too.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I run Taylor wires on my trucks and NGK plugs in all my rides. NGK makes an excellent plug and has worked great for me. Oh yeah, I stick to the copper V-grooved plugs too, they are cheaper and work fine.

The Taylor wires are a nice piece specific to trucks also, fit nice and have been on for at least 20K mi.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check air filter and fuel filter too. Also causes of mileage/power loss.

Personally, IMO, i like to put what was in there back in. If it came with platinums, put platinums, copper, put copper, etc. The NBS trucks came with iridiums in them. Not sure about OBS. However, you can run whatever you feel like. Copper don't have as long of a life as the plats and iridiums.

Also, if NBS, rememer to put antiseize compund on the threads of the plug (aluminum heads) so it doesn't get stuck in. OBS has iron heads and that is not necessary for them. Doesn't harmif you do either.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I don't see you gaining MPG over stock with tuneup items...just retaining what you already had to begin with when new.

I get about 15.5mpg avg and just under 20mpg freeway (driving 65-70mph) that's on 285 ATs and 3.73:1 gears.

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just did the fuel filter and i have a fipk on it, that filter is still red....so im gonna do plugs and wire tommrow and see what happens...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am wondering then maybe someone can help me out. Those high performance plugs that are red, blue or yellow do they work about the same or better? I have a 8.1 Vortec and looking to tune mine up. I would also like to get an high performance distributor also.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Zman said:
I am wondering then maybe someone can help me out. Those high performance plugs that are red, blue or yellow do they work about the same or better? I have a 8.1 Vortec and looking to tune mine up. I would also like to get an high performance distributor also.

Well typically they are supposed to have less resistance allowing for more spark or are just built better than OE. My Taylor wires were made for the truck specifically. I didn't notice any gains or losses from the Taylor ones...but at 50K that's a lil far for plug wires to me.

I thought the 8.1 was running coil packs (dizzy-less)?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Zman said:
Coil packs (dizzy-less)? :crazy:

LOL, well hrm. I haven't seen a distributor under a hood on a newer vehicle is why! :haha:

·
Registered
22 Posts
AHHHH I seee :D.. I have about 47 and some change on my Truck and since I have big tires and take it off road. It's about time to give it some new plugs and other goddies. I have been reading about all the high proformance stuff on one of the magazines.. So I thought I would ask around and see what's out there... I have a K&N and Flow Master already. I wanted to make sure I get the most out of it. :pow:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Whifflebat said:
IMO the plus 4's are totally pointless...

I'm running stock delco wires, cap and rotor with 99 cent delco plugs. I got 17.85 mpg on my last tank of gas, on a 10 year old truck with big ass tires and tall gears. And the plugs are a year and a half old.
if u got 17.85 mpg on that ride in your sig................damn that is awesome. im running stock size tires and can't get better than 15.1, and thats highway....maybe i should change my plugs and wires, they have never been changed as far as i know

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think im going to splurge and get the nology hot wires for my truck...they have a built in capacitor, and ground for each wire. i put them on civic, and my mustang and noticed a diffrence. i was on their website and they make em for 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0's.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I get about 15.5mpg avg and just under 20mpg freeway in my Z...33" ATs, 3.73:1 gears, and driving about 70mph freeway. The key to fuel economy on being under geared is to drive in moderation...you have to cruise about, you have a nonaerodynamic brick.

Next, I stick with copper core plugs as they are less expensive than pts or iridiums...also copper works best with boost/nitrous.

As I said earlier, just plug wires and plugs aren't going to help so much as keeping up with reg. maintainence. FUEL FILTER is number one bitch that people forget. I change my every 10K.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
DaHoe4x4Ag said:
if u got 17.85 mpg on that ride in your sig................damn that is awesome. im running stock size tires and can't get better than 15.1, and thats highway....maybe i should change my plugs and wires, they have never been changed as far as i know
Yep thats the one. I think the biggest part of it is the way i've been driving lately. There is nothing around here with a speed limit over 60, and no stop-go driving, and that really seems to conserve gas. On the way here driving through texas I worked really hard and kept it between 65-70 the whole way and got 15.9. If I keep it at 70-75, its like 13-14.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts