GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm goign to be prepping to paint my box, but should i use a ready puddy, or can i use a kitty hair filler? I'm worried that under extreme vibrations, the puddy might break through the pain and fall out...I'm doing this to fill holes where the screws are. Thanks

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
Loki said:
i'm goign to be prepping to paint my box, but should i use a ready puddy, or can i use a kitty hair filler? I'm worried that under extreme vibrations, the puddy might break through the pain and fall out...I'm doing this to fill holes where the screws are. Thanks

I am by far an expert. I would try "fiberglass" or "kitty hair". I have the same thinking you do about the vibrations.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking that...i'll check it out

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
my friend used icing to fill it in, and he did an exellent job painting it, but it took less than 2 days for it to crack. so i wouldnt use any type of putty.

·
Registered
639 Posts
you guys talking about working with wood? just use some wood glue mixed with some wood shavings....sand paper some off and use it with the glue wait a day or two then paint.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought about the wood chips, but didn't know if that would crack

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I bet some fiberglass resin would work perfect... Put alot of hardener in it and be ready to apply real quick and just fill in the hole and it would be good to go... I sealed the inside and outside of my box with just resin, I didnt use any matte or anything... Air tight and works just fine...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i would def. try that kitty hair. put it on there, drive around and check it out.. then paint it if it doesnt crack. that IMO would prolly be the best bet.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well last night i took the edges off the box and used the shavings from the mdf to make a paste with wood glue....it's filled in and sanded over again, and i'm taking a wood bondo to fill in the rest of the cracks...it turned out really good with that mix of shavings...it was so smooth afterwards, and same wood shavings equal same color, but it doesn't matter after the wood bondo and primer, you won't see the color anyhow :D i'll definately post some pics when i'm done....

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
is this the same box you had at heatwave last year?

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes...but it's changing a little.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts