GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I posted a couple weeks back about my HU turning on and off by itself. You guys gave me some suggestions and one of them sounds to be almost what is wrong. I unhooked the HU and now all the settings were reset (bass=0, treble=0) and since then the HU hasn't been turning on and off. I now noticed that every time the settings are at 0, the HU works without any problems. Could this now be a speaker problem? Right now I still have my stockers but I do have some aftermarkets that I need to get installed.

94flams10blazer said:
what I do to check some of the conditions a HU is under, is to ohm check the speakers and ohm check them to ground. You unplug the radio and use a multimeter to check the ohms of each of the speakers, they should all be around 4-8. Then you put one side of the meter on a good ground and use the other to check all of the speaker leads. If any of them show any ohm load to ground, that speaker(s) is your problem

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
check to see if you can set the balance and fader all to one side or better yet. one speaker, than change the bass and treble settings. If it still happens , go to another speaker, and maybe a third if you really want to. If the problem keeps up after all 2 or 3 , its not the speakers and its the HU. If the bass and treble settings were causing a speaker to move so much it was shorting the headunit, you moving the bal/fad settings around would get it away from that speaker(s) and not short it out

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that today after work. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i dont know what other sugg. the others guys gave you the last time, but, the same thing happened to me w/ my HU. only it would switch to ATT by it self. the problem was one of the wires that didnt connect to anything was loose. the elect. tape i put on it had come off. i retaped the wire checked the rest of the wiring and its been working fine since. so maybe you might want to re-check your wires.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94flamds10blazr said:
check to see if you can set the balance and fader all to one side or better yet. one speaker, than change the bass and treble settings. If it still happens , go to another speaker, and maybe a third if you really want to. If the problem keeps up after all 2 or 3 , its not the speakers and its the HU. If the bass and treble settings were causing a speaker to move so much it was shorting the headunit, you moving the bal/fad settings around would get it away from that speaker(s) and not short it out
I did what you suggested 94flamds10blazr and still nothing. The HU stayed on the whole time. I just don't know if I left it on one speaker long enough (2 min). Right now, I have the HU set at bass=1 and treble=0 and it hasn't shut off.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*WILDSTYLE 5.3* said:
i dont know what other sugg. the others guys gave you the last time, but, the same thing happened to me w/ my HU. only it would switch to ATT by it self. the problem was one of the wires that didnt connect to anything was loose. the elect. tape i put on it had come off. i retaped the wire checked the rest of the wiring and its been working fine since. so maybe you might want to re-check your wires.
I've checked the wiring and they seem to all be connected. The thing is, is that I had put the HU in my truck last year in June/July and it worked fine. Then out of the blue in April/May it started to shut off and on all the time. I checked the wiring to see if any were frayed(sp?). Nope, not a one. I ket looking though. This last time, I moved the wiring around to create more room behind the HU and now it hasn't shut off at all. Don't know if that did it or not, or maybe it was the settings like I mentioned before.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
could be a bad harness so the connections are on again off again. you test it and it works and shove it all back in and it stops

1 - 7 of 7 Posts