GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chevy Owner
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm going to be ordering my speakers soon, and I was wondering if im going to need to run any Dynamat inside my ex. cab Door panels. What I plan on running is a two JL 12" W3's inside a "firing up" custom box made by Stealth Boxes. Probably gonna run a 1200 watt amp...maybe 1600. I'm also gonna run Kappa's in my stock speaker locations. I figured IF im gonna need dynamat, then I could just put it in while I take door panels off to put the speakers in. Lemme know what you guys think...

Oh yeah...I can't find anything anywhere on how to take the door panels or speaker covers off to change the speakers. Can anyone post how too? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
we usually run mat around the speakers in the doors to help seal them and to stop the panels from resonating. I know people have come back after having their doors matted and love it. If you have the door panels off, at least do them to help with outside noise cuz it helps alot on the interstate. If you wanna help more, do that back panel under the window as you get alot in there from the road. The skys the limit , depends on how deep your pocket is

·
Chevy Owner
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much of it did you run? I'm for sure going to run it inside my panels IF i can figure out how to get the damn things off...not sure if want to do the back panel underneath the window or not. OH, about how much of it did you use? I saw that I can get a 36 sq. ft. pack on eBay for $97...retails for $250. Just wondering if im going to need that much or if the "Door Kits" they sell would be enough....Thanks

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
The door panels come off easy. The front ones are super simple, pop off the arm rest panel (its just clipped on) and unplug the wires to the switches. You will see a screw there, undo it. Pop off teh panels where the rear view is. There is also a scew under the handle in the arm rest you must undo. After this just grab the panel and pull up on it, should come right off.

The back are evebn easier, their are just 2 screws, one in the cup holder and one in the storage things next to it. Undo and pull up.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
get the bulk pack... double up on some areas... if u;ve got a louder system, you pretty much can always find another rattle. I used to be obessed with that stuff, i have like 2 door kits on one door. my truck now is quite like a benz

·
Chevy Owner
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DE for the instructions and thanks to everybody else for the inputs. I'll get some pics up once I get everything installed and let ya know how it sounds :head2:

·
9,823 Posts
get that 97$ kit! thats alot of mat, big time. Incase youve never seen my Blazer, heres a pic of the Dynamat install , so far, so far

never mind, its too big, I get that alot. Its posted on here somewhere

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Dynamat is not the only thing you can use. They are cheaper alternatives out there. For example you can buy brown bread for I think around $100 for 90 sq ft. Good stuff, I used the scrap I have from customers cars in my truck thus far, only on the back wall and some of the floor and it's helped a great deal IMHO.

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
Yeah, check this out: http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

It's thicker than dynamat and a fraction of the cost. You can get 100 sq ft for $120. That's enough to do one extended cab. One layer at least.
Well ill be damned.. thats in my city.. :jawdrop: No shipping on brownbread for me fuckers! :crazy:

·
9,823 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
I used the scrap I have from customers cars in my truck thus far, only on the back wall and some of the floor and it's helped a great deal IMHO.
I did the saem thing on my Blazer, but I wouldnt call it "scrap" at all

·
why jonny ringo...
629 Posts
if you can do the headliner, it would help a lot, when you wash your truck you'll notice how weak/thin the roof is. Dynamat will help the noise there a lot. i managed to put around 80#'s in. The headliner is a pain to take down though.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
gotta(be)low said:
Dynamat is not the only thing you can use. They are cheaper alternatives out there. For example you can buy brown bread for I think around $100 for 90 sq ft. Good stuff, I used the scrap I have from customers cars in my truck thus far, only on the back wall and some of the floor and it's helped a great deal IMHO.
brown bread is great, as is peel 'n patch from home depot. i used polymeric mastic from mcmaster-carr on my old truck. it deadened well but didn't stick to itself so i couldn't double up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts