GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving down the freeway, noticed i was doing 125mph with less than 2k rpm. i knew it was wrong. so parked it, and the speedo doesnt go all the way down to zero. it stays at aroun 20mph .
sometimes i will rest at 15 or 10 or 30 mph. sometimes 0. what is goin on??

please help

Jason
03 Z71 stock

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
Speedo broken. Many have had this problem. Take it to the dealer, or get a replacement cluster. Do a search for Speedometer, tons of threads about this.

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
yea i think it's a stepper motor problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As Denaliano said, it's the stepper motor. You can buy replacements on ebay for around $20 and replace it yourself if you have soldering skills. If not, there's at least one guy on ebay who will sell you the motor and install it (for a fee of course). I think he gets around $100 to replace all the stepper motors on the panel.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
But it is a good time to upgrade to an Escalade Cluster. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a new factory stock cluster for sale with 5500 miles on it out of a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 I'll selll you for $150.00. Not sure if it wil work wth your year truck, probably will.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
this happened to me today. is this covered under the warranty of the truck?
Yeah it should be covered. I'm waiting for a recall to be issued so I can be re-imbursed for the cluster I had to buy since my truck was out of warranty.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
I just got a paper in the mail from GM saying the 04's are prone to failure and bring it in for a free replacement so long as i ahve not reached 70k miles as of yet.......which i have and my speedo has been messed up for at least 30k miles.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
guy at work just got a nic used avalnche with somenice 20's. i got him to do the antenna delete thing, and remove his pinstripe. anyway, he called me at work today going down the highway, passing cars, speedo reading 24 mph. says last night it read 12 mph going home. he took it to the dealer and there going to replace it under warranty.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
I just got a paper in the mail from GM saying the 04's are prone to failure and bring it in for a free replacement so long as i ahve not reached 70k miles as of yet.......which i have and my speedo has been messed up for at least 30k miles.
I knew somebody here spoke of a recall notice they had received, but couldn't remember who until now. I'll wait a few weeks, then end up at the dealer if I don't hear anything. I'd like my $340.00 back please.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
I knew somebody here spoke of a recall notice they had received, but couldn't remember who until now. I'll wait a few weeks, then end up at the dealer if I don't hear anything. I'd like my $340.00 back please.
I hear ya. I'd bring mine in but i'm over 70k and will not buy a new cluster.
I'm simply gonna get me a aeroforce and leave one of the settings on mph.
Cheaper this way as well lol.:read:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts