GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change my upper balljoints tomorrow and realized that my balljoint nut is recessed into my mcgaughys drop spindle. its so far in I cant get a closed end wrench in there. I have to use a long drive socket. So, How do I loosen this nut without the balljoint spinning with a socket over it?

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant because there will be a socket over the stud/bolt of the balljoint

heres a pic. this is on another guys truck, he cut the excess off because he has a awd but it will give you the idea.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
off of memory I think you can put a small socket on the end of the bj and grip the nut with an open end wrench..I think thats what I did.

I just ghetto gripped it with an open end wrench...and I have dropped spindles so we're in the same boat...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take a pry bar and put it under the frame rail and pry down on to the top of the control arm. This will put pressure on the ball joint stud and keep it from turning.

·
GM Addict
231 Posts
I used an impact wrench to get the nut down low enough to use an open end but I had the hex on my joint still.

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
word, I'll try that. and if that doesnt work I'll just bring the arms all the way up and bind the bj and see if that will work.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That would work too and since you're bagged I'd probably go that route first since all you'd need is a floor jack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts