GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the book at work today and found
an interesting concept. Does anyone have any experience
with spools. Apparently they do the same job as a locker.
Just looking for some knowledge.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
lighter, no moving parts, always are locked 100% of the time...lockers can take turns w/o scrubbing, these will scrub every time. They also are smaller in size overall than a carrier or locker so you cna get a little more fluid in them. Unless you really don't care about your tires, i wouldn't DD with a spool.

·
5,501 Posts
full spools replace the carrier. i think mini spools replace the spiders.

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
on a locker, when making a turn, the outside wheel turns faster to catch up on the turn. on a spool, both wheels spin at the same speed during a turn so they chirp.

·
5,501 Posts
on a locker, when making a turn, the outside wheel turns faster to catch up on the turn. on a spool, both wheels spin at the same speed during a turn so they chirp.
have you ever had a locker? this is conditional. detroits act open under no load. i can scrub mine when i want...and can make turns smoothly too. it depends on the locker, but detroits are torque sensitive, and ARBs are either locked or not...they act as a spool when locked.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
a spool basically locks your axels together all the time. think of it as welding your axels together. your wheels are going to turn same speed all the time, all day long. so when you turn you're gonna hear chirping and your tires are going to wear real fast. if this is a daily driver, don't do it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
send a PM to black350HO...ask him how often he has to replace the tires on his 92 GMC with an auburn mini spool...eats up tires in no time at all.

waste of money unless its a recreational only vehicle.

Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just get a good limited slip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, thanks for the info, don't think I'll be putting one of these in, just thought
i would look into it.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
get an Eaton locker or a Yukon Jim... I like my Yukon locker and 4.10's great...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts