GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site and hope that someone can help. I'm looking for any opinions on flares for the sportside trucks. I would prefer OEM's but from what I've heard, GM doesn't offer any for the sportside. Anybody know why?

Thanks in advance!
Draphty
'03 Ext. Cab, Sportside Z71

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
First off...

:welcome: to GMFS

Anyway...I asked the same question to a couple of local dealers and none of them could give me a straight answer as to why they aren't "available" for the sportside. One of them surmised that maybe it is because the sportside is a fiberglass bed, while the fleetside is sheet metal. I really wouldn't see where this would matter, since it is held on by 3m tape, but none the less that is what I was told. In reality, I'm pretty sure fleetside flares will work on a sportside, but I've seen this once, and I didn't like the look at all. But each to their own...I'll try and see if I can dig up some photos, but keep in mind...they are rare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bowtie: Thanks for the info...Yeah, I know what ya mean by the way they look. The only ones I have seen that I half way like are the Xenon flares. They don't look too bad. I'd appreciate any more pics if you can find them...Like you said, they are rare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Edge...looks pretty good. My trucks white...so I see the only way to go will be with body colored flares.

Since I'm in the DFW area, I think I'll ride over to Plano and take a closer look at that truck and try to figure out the manufacturer of those flares.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...they do look like crap upainted. Looks good on the black stepside though. Just wish I new if the oem fleetside flares will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks vhato...sweet truck. Those flares look nice. Who are they made by? Are you happy with'em? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks guys,

They are Warn 4x Flares. Paid $215 in Baton Rouge at a retailer. Had them painted with a Dupont Acrylic Paint (No Clear). The Flares are sweet. No complaints, took 1 hour to install.

The dealer is coming to my house Saturday to look at so I can trade it in for an 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab. LS Package with Bose and all electric options is $29,560. I can't wait.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am using a dealer in Woodville, MS. He is registered to resell in Louisiana and MOST other states so you don't have double taxation. He is a natiowide dealer. He didn't know me from anyone else. When we spoke on the phone for my current 99 back in 98 he told me he makes money on dealer holdback. He sells for invoice price and he can't negotiate on trade in values or on the price of the truck. What the book says is what the book says. They are an old Chevrolet dealer. It is him (salesman), his dad (owner), his brother (mechanic) and a secretary (some chic). They have no HUGE employee base and no HUGE monthly payment on the dealership so they can afford to sell at invoice+rebates. That is how I am picking up this $37k truck for $28k. If trade in value is trade in value then I should pick up this truck for $23k+TT&L.

I love riding high, but I am tired of noise and tired of bumpy rides and hate the fact that at 10MPG I can't use my truck on long trips.

The most I see me doing to this truck is enough suspension lift to run 35x14.50 All-Terrains. So maybe a 6" Suspension Lift or MAYBE an 8" FabTech Lift. Whatever works and whatever keeps me below the 54" center of the headlight limit.

·
2,451 Posts
screw head lights, my cousin's friend has 27" of lift on his f250 and 49" iroks all he did was mount plow lights. I think 6" of lift would do fine for those tires, plus 8" fabtechs have problems with wide tires.

·
Registered
639 Posts
snigbertese said:
screw head lights, my cousin's friend has 27" of lift on his f250 and 49" iroks all he did was mount plow lights. I think 6" of lift would do fine for those tires, plus 8" fabtechs have problems with wide tires.
WHOA! Plow lights...sweet...try to score us a picture of that. :head:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts