GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several parts painted professionally smooth silver in my truck but I currently have my console in parts sanded to 800grit ready for paint. Mostly the upper half of console the lower section will remain stock. Anyways all the rip off shops here want 200-400 to paint the few small pieces that i've already sanded. If I take my time would there be a noticeable difference in some sort of spray paint vs paying this priec for professional? thanks

If spray paint would look good still what is the best kind of primer/promotor/paint to use? Links? thanks

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've tried about six.........

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basically the lid/upper part of console and then the lil doors for cupholder and storage, and maybe glove box door...

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
if you take your time and primer the pieces, sand them smooth, then do some even layers of paint and clear they should come out just fine. once the clear dries you can wetsand with like 2000 grit and then use a polish to really make them smooth and shine like they were professionally done.

I used Duplicolor paint on my interior pieces

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used duplicolor on mine too like Phil, and after a quick wetsand and buff of the clear they came out like glass. I would at least give it a try, if nothing else you can just resand it. A paint job is all about the prep, so if you get the primer smooth enough, you shouldn't have any problem laying down nice paint with a spray can :imo

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any pictures of your guys?

I was thinking about ordering some paint like this http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp in a corvette silver or something and then bulldog promotor and primer if that'd do the job.

Iceman if the price was really good i'd consider it but shipping would probably kill it ;) let me know, thanks

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
next to professionally painted peices I think you'd notice a big difference... keep shoping and have a pro do it.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
just try it yourself...and if you dont like it, then turn around and bring it to someone...
simple.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not so simple...... all the primer adhesive promotors and good spray paint adds up to like 75 lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
I painted my handles myself. took about a week, from primer to finish. Been about six months and they still look good. I used duplicolor paint got it from advance auto. I'm gonna try my mirrors and some other stuff when it warms up.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
i say just save up a bit and have them professionally done IMO...

the problem you run into doing them yourself first and then your not hapy with it is...alot of painters might actaully charge you more once they have been done once because they hafta cut them back down and re-prep them cuz otherwise they wont gaurantee the work with whatever junk primer you used from Auto Zone..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Duplicolor works great on small projects. Beleive it or not I painted my inserts on my wheels with duplicolor. I scuffed the chrome primer then duplicolor and then clearcoated. looks great. My painter got mad because he thought I went to someone else. I don't think I would do it to any big parts.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
i would never do it on big parts or large interior plastics, however since my 94 dash is mostly smaller individual pieces, i actually plan on using a duplicolor spray paint for some extra dash bits that i have soon, just to see how they come out. somehow i did an awesome job painting some pieces on one of my other projects (pics up soon) and i loved the color matches my truck almost perfect (for no wetsand/clear/polish/etc), so for like $20 in supplies, i'll give it a shot. if it sucks, they were extra pieces anyways or i can sand them back down

1 - 20 of 29 Posts