GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to help a friend do a drop and i want to know what to look out for with the springs up front. Are they hard to get on, is there some kind of special tool or knack i need to know about?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
spring compresser rented from autozone works good

are you doing the drop near moore im about to bag the front of my truck here in a few weeks and would like to help just to get some more experiance if thats cool i dont know much about drops but want to learn

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
hey downfall... i'm not sure if its me that chris is refering to.. but hes supposed to help me drop mine 2/4 also.. if you wanna help then you can..

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
TheLlama said:
Im about to help a friend do a drop and i want to know what to look out for with the springs up front. Are they hard to get on, is there some kind of special tool or knack i need to know about?
What year truck?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
00', Im helping pewter00, the back should be cake walk for me. Ive done lifting befoe. But i dont know much about the front

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I've heard different stories about balljoint separation on NBS trucks, but here's my personal experience in dropping NBS trucks (don't try to separate the UCA balljoint like OBS): If you are replacing just the springs, remove them from the back of the control arm. Basically, once you have the truck on jackstands, put a jack under the control arm. After removing the swaybar endlink and the shock, ubolt the LCA from the frame (2 bolts), and gently (and slowly) lower the jack until the spring is uncompressed. Lower the LCA until the spring can be taken out. After that put in the new spring and reverse the process. Should take you no more than 30 mins.....

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Well when I did it, By Ball joints were seriously stuck. I didn't want to ruin the lowers, so I separated the uppers instead since It would be better to scrap an upper balljoint than a lower one. I have heard that you can use the spring itslef to pop the lower balljoints out after you have disconnected everything(shocks, swaybar, balljoint nuts)

Just make sure to get the brakelines taken down and out of the way. You won't need any spring compressors, as the drop coil will be much easier to get on than the stock coil.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some guy at a shop is telling me im going to have to grind somethin on the hangers and weld something after that? Some tell me if he is bullshittin me.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
If you have Hangers for the Rear drop... you are going to have to grind off all the rivets and then drill and secure the new ones on with bolts. You could weld it if u wanted, but I see no need to.

I woulda persoanlly gone low enough to do the Flip kit in the back to begin with. 3/6 or a 4/6

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
so far ive dropped 4 NBS truck, and when it comes to drop coils, i just seperate the upper ball joint and put the new springs in, i can do a front drop in just under an hour now.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rollin20s said:
so far ive dropped 4 NBS truck, and when it comes to drop coils, i just seperate the upper ball joint and put the new springs in, i can do a front drop in just under an hour now.
Come on up big guy lol

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i'd love to do a 3/6 or 4/6 but it wont work with my tires.. not sure if it will even work with my wheels.. plus i'm gettin the good deal on the 2/4 so i'm not passin it up...

i talked with v6 cruzr earlier and he said that hes gonna try to get the kit out of storage this weekend and i will send him the money and we'll have the kit soon :head:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not a tough job, spindles are another story but springs are tit. I popped the lca by unbolting the sway bar and ball joint and hitting the side of the control arm with a mallet. The vibration pops it out. Put a floor jack under the control arm though. Never did the uppers to get the spring out, have to try that on the next one. Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts