GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I spun a rod bearing today in my truck, So as long as the block is still good I am going to rebuild it. Its gettin a crank and master rebuild kit probably .30 over. I want to go with a mild cam something that is good for everyday driving any suggestions? I am going to go with a custom tune, not sure what else I am going to do, after all of the above is done i`ll prolly have about $1000 left to spend on the motor. I am going to also go with a set of headers, probably just summit shortys. Any suggestions on what else to do? E-fans are a possibility but I'd like to wait for those since they are simple bolt on, But anything else to do while its out? Thanks.

I got a K&N Cold air the other day too...Havent even put it on yet so I already got that.

1997 GMC Sierra 5.7 Stock 4L60 285's 10 Bolt So I cant go too crazy :hmm:

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
if your gonna go shorty headers get the ceramic coated set off ebay for 150 bucks, they will last longer than the summit painted ones and are a little beefier, i would spring for a set of lond tube ceramic ones though if your gonna do it. run a set of 1.6 roller rockers, a performance ignition and wires, larger throttle body, underdrive pulleys and electric fans, while you got the motor and tranny out replace the motor and tranny mounts woth urethane ones not very expensive and stiffer. when you get the tune have them delete the post 02 sensors then delete the cats run true dual 2.5" exhaust into a dynomax x pipe muffler. that will bump you up a bit, or just do it back stock and throw a vortech supercharger on there. oh def get a performance converter and tranny build up or it will be the next to go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to build it up to the ZZ4 350 or 355 My Engine came up as a "2 or 4...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal" my heads are "L31 vortec 64cc 1.94/1.5 with 170cc intake port." Can anyone help me with what i`ll need to build this up, the ZZ4 comes up at 355 horses I wanna get near there but keep the fuel injection, any good setups I can do for around 2k? Thanks.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
well sir you need to start with some periods and commas, not being harsh just a bit hard to read what you are typing. as fars as heads go you alredy got the vortecs so i would just clean those up a bit and throw on some roller rockers, you need to get the motor apart and take in the damage, you may be able to reuse your current block and just run 10 over on the bearings. if so then a 383 kit can be had for less than grand, make sure to get one from a reputable company and make sure its balanced. get a good cam with this, a larger tb, and a new tune.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually thinking about stroking it today! Got it all apart, The block is good, I didnt do any damage to it. I found a kit with everything needed to stroke it for just under $900. If I do stroke it will I need anything other then the tune? I plan on going up a little on the cam and I do plan on roller rockers, also a stall converter. I wont have to do any other work other then this to make the 383 work? Thanks again.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
larger throttle body, headers, good tune dont really need anything but a tune but it really helps a 383 breath.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The L31's poppet valve injectors limit your horsepower to around 300. You'll need to do the marine intake swap or other MPFI swap to go to larger injectors to support more power.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
i knew someone with more knowledge would eventually chime in!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! The kit is on its way and the blocks at the machine shop as we speak. I am going to use my stock intake until I can save up more money seeing how I have to buy the kit, pcm, headers, stall converter, and rebuild kit. But I will be purchasing that marine intake, I read Hogg's writeup on the Marine intake...looks like something I`ll be purchasing in the future. Thanks again

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do a 383 for sure and full length headers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like everyone in town is either jealous or somethin, but they are all sayin 383's are very unreliable and are pigs and stuff like that, I dont see how this would be any different then a 350...except for more power, as long as its done right...Anyone with experience with these?

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
prob, because most peoples experience with 383's are poorly built at best, more ci in most instances means more hp.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Seems like everyone in town is either jealous or somethin, but they are all sayin 383's are very unreliable and are pigs and stuff like that, I dont see how this would be any different then a 350...except for more power, as long as its done right...Anyone with experience with these?
either jealous, stupid, or both. Properly built ones will fucking scat to say the least.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
plus the increase in tq will be wondrous for your 4wd!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Also they become turds if you try to use stock intake manifold and heads on one. More cubes requires more airflow...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts