GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 GMC ECSB W/5.3 and when I turn left it makes quite a loud squeel, It is silent when turning right. It sounds like something under the hood. Any suggestions?

LK

·
Broke
350 Posts
I have the same problem on my 00 RCSB 4.8. My squeel isn't too loud but if you are driving w/o any music it is defineatly there.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
My truck squeels like hell when making tight turns in either direction. At first I thought I just needed a realignment, but thats not it, cause I've had it aligned several times, and its still there. Dont know what it is, and dont really care anymore. :crazy:

·
Broke
350 Posts
more like its coming from the PS pump from what i have heard on my truck...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt said:
is it a tire squeal or like a suspension squeal?
It's definately comming from the under hood area. I can do it at a stand still without the truch even moving. It sounds like the PS pump area but I have no Idea why it does it on LH turns,

LK

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Before my truck was lifted It made a squeel turning left sometimes. Didnt do it alot just every now and then.
It has not done it after the lift that I have heard.

Mine was more of a Tire noise than something under the hood:think:

Dont know what it is/was.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Mine does the same thing, only on left hand turns. It does sound like its coming from under the hood I thought it was just the PS pump. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
mine did the same thing to my dad before I bought it from him, he took it to the dealer since it was still under warrenty. They said it was the belt and sprayed silicone spray on it. For somereason I thought that was bs since it was only during turns (hard left on my truck), but it has been fine ever since, about a year and a half.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
When you turn to full lock the ps pump goes from low pressure to high pressure due to the box hitting the internal steering stops, this causes the load on the pulley to be greater which causes the belt to slip.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
willyswanter said:
When you turn to full lock the ps pump goes from low pressure to high pressure due to the box hitting the internal steering stops, this causes the load on the pulley to be greater which causes the belt to slip.
Makes sense, I started to think of that after I posted.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
willyswanter said:
I'm not hitting the stops. It does it any time I turn left even slightly. I don't know maybe i'll try another kind of belt. I already changed it once and it's the same so I will maybe try another brand? If it was both directions it would make more sense.

LK

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
willyswanter said:
Mine doesn't do it at full lock, I'd say it only does it at about 3/4-1 turn of the steering wheel only.

·
Broke
350 Posts
Yeah we aren't talking full lock, I know I only have to turn it slightly to the left to get the sound.

00serria said:
mine did the same thing to my dad before I bought it from him, he took it to the dealer since it was still under warrenty. They said it was the belt and sprayed silicone spray on it. For somereason I thought that was bs since it was only during turns (hard left on my truck), but it has been fine ever since, about a year and a half.
I don't understand how spraying the belt with silicone would help... :think:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My '05 CCSB does the same damn thing. Slight left turns. Dealer said its normal and it seems to be the check valve or fitting going to the steering box. Something to do with left and the high pressure relief or something.

I noticed that on colder days, the noise isn't as apparent. Warmer days more so. I think fluid viscosity plays a big part. I may try a thicker hydraulic fluid in the system to see if that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts