GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my blackbear tune session is the end of next month and i'm wondering if i can squeeze anything else in before that should be tuned in. i've just about rounded up all my parts for my exhaust and might have an extra couple hundred to spend. i'd love to do a cam and stall but i don't have that kind of money right now. so far i'll have the lpp headers and y, cai, efans and that's it. anything else i can add to get a little more power? thanks.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
e3 spark plugs

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
How bout an underdrive pulley? Wont see but at most 10hp from it but noticeable.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
e3 spark plugs
my buddy was telling me about those but i haven't noticed many people on the boards running them.

is your regular maintenance up to date?

spark plugs
front 02's
fuel filter
air filter
it will be before the tune. was planning on oil change and spark plugs. just put on a new air filter. didn't think of new o2's or fuel filter.

How bout an underdrive pulley? Wont see but at most 10hp from it but noticeable.
that's the first that was mentioned to me. any brands i should look at. still use the same belt?

corvette servo if you havent done it already
yes. i read about that. that will be going in when i do the the exhaust. a cheap mod that seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
it will be before the tune. was planning on oil change and spark plugs. just put on a new air filter. didn't think of new o2's or fuel filter.

yes. i read about that. that will be going in when i do the the exhaust. a cheap mod that seems to help a bit.
i think the service interval on the o2's is something like 60k miles. if yours are over that it might be a good investment so justin can get the most accurate data.

fuel filter is like 12 bucks. no brainer.

make sure you do the servo correctly so you don't fuck up your tranny.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was looking at advance auto's site. those o2's are pricey.

yeah i'm gonna find the best directions for the servo and make sure i take notes of how everything came out.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm sure mine is in well need of a new fuel filter. i've never changed it before.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
i'm sure mine is in well need of a new fuel filter. i've never changed it before.
It's really easy, you should change it out every 10-15k ideally.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
ASP makes a good pulley, but they are always backordered... Earlier this year I was waiting on one for a good month and half with no result, so I ended up getting an SLP underdrive pulley instead. I like it, although like mentioned above, don't expect big numbers or results out of it.
You will have to run a different sized belt, size also depending on if you run an overdrive alternator pulley or just a higher output alt (which is what I did).

as for the O2 sensors... I hate to admit, but mine probably have over 100,000 on them! I haven't noticed any problem though... but now wondering if my engine would run any better with new ones? Not that it runs rough now or anything though...

I'm not sure if that e3 spark plug comment was sarcasm or not... you won't notice any gains, nor need any special tuning for those.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just had Justin scan my truck last week and my tune should be here within the next week. With mine he said my Mass Air Flow sensor was out of spec but he could compensate for it. Never have changed the o2's but he didn't say anything about those. I change all plugs, wires, oil and fuel filter's, and cleaned my KNN before i scanned it.

Caint wait to get my tune! :head:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
since i'll be pulling the o2's anyway when i install my lpp's within the next week or so, is there any visual way to check the o2's?

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Forget about the oxygen sensors, they'll let you know when they're messed up. Change your fuel filter, the fuel pump is expensive. On nnbs trucks, what they're telling you the "fuel filter is in the tank" is bs. Its just a sock like is on every other fuel pump out there. Theres no need to change it, unless your pump shits the bed and your in the tank anyways. Somebody said something about MAF being out of spec after cleaning their K&N...Think about this for a minute... Yes the oil all over your K&N is probably all over your MAF. Clean your MAF sensor and make sure your K&N is completely dry before you re-install it or you'll be buying a MAF for a few hundred. OH, and the only way to check the oxygen sensors without a scan tool is once you take them out, hold the washer so it doesnt rattle, and shake them next to your ear. if you hear it rattling around like its full of buckshot its broken, but if its that broken you'll probably get a light.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
How many miles do you have on the o2's? They can and do become less efficient as they go out, even if they don't throw a code.

Forget about aftermarket spark plugs too, waste of money.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm not sure whether they are stock or not since i'm the third owner but the truck only has 84k on it.
as far as spark plugs, i think i'm just gonna go with the ngk tr5's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts