GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 about 6 months ago and just realized after swapping out the stock brake assemblies that the rear has a 2inch rough country spacer and the front has no spacer. So under the truck it’s got the 10.5” 14 bolt rear diff w/ the 2 inch spacers yet nothing on the front. What should I look for either on the front or rear to see why and how the truck has such a difference in wheel widths?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are the track widths the same front to rear? If so, I’d guess the rear end was swapped at some point (from another vehicle with different track width / axle tube length), and they used spacers to match the front track, but you’ll need to be a little more specific.

I’d say it’s pretty common for folks to swap the entire assembly from whatever works, rather than replacing gears. Sometimes that’s a good thing. These are the folks who don’t have the means to get the gears done right, and would just blow them up anyway. So my guess would be a junkyard axle / full rear end from a different truck.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
They're a little wider from the factory, if it's lifted some kits widen the fron track width

Reactions: heysoos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the track widths the same front to rear? If so, I’d guess the rear end was swapped at some point (from another vehicle with different track width / axle tube length), and they used spacers to match the front track, but you’ll need to be a little more specific.

I’d say it’s pretty common for folks to swap the entire assembly from whatever works, rather than replacing gears. Sometimes that’s a good thing. These are the folks who don’t have the means to get the gears done right, and would just blow them up anyway. So my guess would be a junkyard axle / full rear end from a different truck.
Ah, alright I’ll try to find out what diff I have then rather then going off the bolt pattern. So the front and rear are literally lined up perfectly but from what I’ve seen the diff is stock but I could be completely oblivious at times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're a little wider from the factory, if it's lifted some kits widen the fron track width
I know the torsion bars are keyed but there’s been no aftermarket lift on it. If I remove the rear spacers the tires have a two inch difference from the front, yet with the front having no spacers it makes me think something is swapped on the front but idrk I don’t see many stock 6.0s so I can’t tell if that’s a stock wheel space.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Post pics of it, my 02 with the front end turned down made the front end about an inch wider on each side vs the rear. Ran 1.75 adapters on the front and 2.5s in the back on it to make it close with lml wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts