GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new TB stall from the brown truck today:kiss: Here's the question. Do I have to totally remove the tranny or can I slide it back enough to get the stall out? I'm sure I'm not the first to do this on a ECSB 4x4. I'd appreciate any tips you've got to pass my way.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Aside from disconnecting all the crap (harnesses, ATF lines, shafts, etc) it will then slide back JUST enough to install. Be warned: YOU WILL get covered in ATF.

It's best to have a good floor jack (three ton is fine) with a trans adapter to support the weight of the case.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-case can stay on too?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah I left the case on.

It'd probably be a ton easier to just drop the x-member so you can drop the unit down a bit. I think the trans adapter is around $40.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Take the tranny all the way out. That way you can be absolutely POSITIVE you seated the converter all the way into the tranny!! Youll know what I mean when you install it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's out! I went ahead and pulled it tonight. I couldn't get the TC out and had to pull it all. This way I can easily replace the front seal while I'm at it. I split the transfer case off to lighten it for installation. I would have pulled it seperately too had I known it was going to be coming all the way out. BTW, I'm going to kill you guys for being such a bad influence and talking me into this:guns: I'm getting too old to be pulling stunts like this:LOL: I enjoyed this stuff a lot more in my 20s. I'll be glad I did it though.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
looks like it was a good time :crazy:

·
Registered
94 Posts
dude you got douched with atf lol. but congrats on everything lookin like it went good

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Damn, you got right to it. LOL

For some reason I pictured your truck stepside and in black. :rofl2:

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I love having access to a lift. :D

Ditto... working at a shop is nice. drive on lifts and tall trans jacks with straps is where it at... :anitoof:

I still think you should have gone with a more substantial unit Brad... those TB converters work but if you want longevity and something you know you wont have to pull again later, you gotta drop some coin on it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
is that little square bucket what you tried to catch the fluid in and just went everywhere else? lol

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is that little square bucket what you tried to catch the fluid in and just went everywhere else? lol
Ummm....ummmm........yes:bawl: I wasn't planning on dropping the whole thing. Then it wouldn't slide back far enough to get the TC out. So I started lowering the jack and everything went south from there. Literally. The good news is that the mess is all cleaned up and ready for installation once I pick up my new seal and o-ring this afternoon. I appreciate what you're saying silver-mod-o, but I only drive this truck about 5K/year and it's not a drag truck. If it's strenght is = to the stock unit, I should be good to go.

BTW, that's not ATF that I'm soaked with. It's sweat with a layer of filth and crud from rolling around on the floor. Luckily, the ATF never drained on me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should I refill with $5/qt Dexron VI, Mobil1 ATF, or just good ole Dexron III?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Dexron III is what the 4l series trannies all called for IIRC, your t-case might use the blue a-trac fluid though.

Take your time and be certain you got it balanced well on the tranny jack adapter...especially if you're workin by yourself.
Can I just say amen to this? "10 inches to the ground, Im in good shape. Oh crap, why is it listing like the Bismark? Oop, there she goes." Tumble, tumble, tumble, settle. "What a mess:pow: "

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's back in the truck. All that's left is the wiring harness, drive shaft, collector gaskets, and fluids. I quit to go out with the family for dinner. My bro and I used a regular floor jack with a short piece of 2x4 and a ratchet tie down strap. It wasn't that bad with an extra set of hands. 2 1/2-3 hours and most of it was back together. I'm anxious to drive this combo. BTW, I bought Dexron VI for the tranny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts