GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does naybody have any Stanley hand tools? i'm thinking about gettting there 246pc. mechanics tool set. i haerd that Stanley tools was owned buy some other major tool maker, like Mac. any body know? are they good tools? im not a mechanic, i just like to work on my cars when i can.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
What kind of warenty do they have? Thats the #1 reason I buy craftsman.

·
scooby dooby doo!
26 Posts
Well. I can't vouch for all their tools but I do have 1 Stanley screwdriver that I use keep the engine from falling off the stand since I lost the original pin and it has served its purpose for many months. :waytogo:

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
i had a set of stanley screwdrivers, they were very poorly made and most of them broke. i'd spend a little more and get craftsman. even if stanley can match craftsman's warranty, it's still easier to return stuff to sears. craftsman isn't the top of the line best tool you can buy but for everyday wrenching you can't go wrong with them.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
Stanley is a subsidary of Mac Tools and has a lifetime warranty just like overchargemens.. I mean craftsmen..

You can take anything that breaks back to where ever a mac tool truck runs.

I ONLY use Stanley tools and wouldn't switch no matter what.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My experience with stanley hasn't been great. My friend has a kit and was taking apart his throttle body. Ended up rounding out the torx screws. I happend to have a snap-on one and was able to get the screws out after the stanley rounded em. I don't know when the mac acquisition took place, the forementioned set is an older one so it may not be applicable.

**edit** looks like MAC is owned by them, not the converse

·
Registered
601 Posts
Also, after looking at their website I really doubt that they are similiar, just owned by the same company. They are classified as different "business groups". Someone correct me if I am wrong.

. As a division of The Stanley Works, Mac Tools has the advantage of being part of an international S&P 500 company.
-- http://www.mactools.com/content/employment/us/traditionals.asp

Another exaple is comparing the logo's on the two pages listed below, mac is separately listed:
http://www.stanleyworks.com/bu_mactools.asp
http://www.stanleyworks.com/bu_handtools.asp

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
The tools they sell at Homedepot & Lowes are pretty good. They also carry the same warranty the other big name tool companies have.

·
Banned
487 Posts
everything i have is craftsman.. i think snap-on stuff is ridiculous! it is in no way better, but 10x the price.

BUT- i do have a stanley set of socket and wrenches, no problems there. The only tool i have EVER broke was a craftsman 3/4 inch 1/2 inch drive socket (warranty) a craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet, and a Chicago phnuematic die grinder.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
99redsilv said:
Stanley is a subsidary of Mac Tools and has a lifetime warranty just like overchargemens.. I mean craftsmen..

You can take anything that breaks back to where ever a mac tool truck runs.

I ONLY use Stanley tools and wouldn't switch no matter what.
it's still easier to return stuff to sears, unless your local sears is farther away than your local mac tools truck. imo craftsman's prices are reasonable for what you get. apparently you've never bought anything from snap-on.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
oh yes we have every thing in our shop was snap-on till they quit running.. business account and we got a discount so it wasn't to bad.

Now we have stanley and craftsmen at the shop, and what is left of the snap-on

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
hovisimo said:
it's still easier to return stuff to sears, unless your local sears is farther away than your local mac tools truck. imo craftsman's prices are reasonable for what you get. apparently you've never bought anything from snap-on.
I agree with you there hovisimo. I have both full sets of Snap-On & Craftsman
I do prefer to use my Snap-On tools over my Craftmans. And if you pay full price for anything off the tool truck your not wheeling & dealing, apparently you can't do this at Sears. Like I posted before these guys are on paid commission sales "No Sale No Eat".

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
All my tools and boxes are Craftsman. I did have some Snap on and Mac tools but... I always know where Sears is when I break a tool and can never find the "truck" when I needed it now!

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
my main man!

kevindepot said:
All my tools and boxes are Craftsman.
NastyGMC said:
everything i have is craftsman.
i should start a list like DeToN8TeD did. are you on the craftsman list?

all my hand tools are craftsman. got the 241 piece set, 5 bigass SAE wrenches, 1/2" torque wrench, 5pc pliers, 4pc mini pliers, air hammer, 12pc screwdriver set, 1/2" impact sockets, 14.4V drill, all in the black ball bearing 10 drawer 26" combo. got an IR 1/2" impact and 3/8" angle drill but would not mind replacing them with craftsman.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I only use Craftsman and Kobalt. Kobalt is a division of Snap-on and from my experience, they manufacture the best tools. Generally speaking, they have a more comfortable feel. Plus, their chrome finish looks great, is durable, and easy to clean. :head:

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
I use mostly Kobalt myself. I've broken several Craftsmen sockets but never a kobalt, many on the same application. Kobalt is so much cheaper I don't even consider craftsman anymore. Plus Lowe's is just around the corner from me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
BaggedC10 said:
I only use Craftsman and Kobalt. Kobalt is a division of Snap-on and from my experience, they manufacture the best tools. Generally speaking, they have a more comfortable feel. Plus, their chrome finish looks great, is durable, and easy to clean. :head:
This is from some webpage, the link is below. I also read smoewhere that snap-on is not making them anymore, they were underbid by someone else.

I received the following info from Dan Peronto a Tool Designer for Snap-on Tools at the Kenosha Mfg Plant:

To: "John T. Blair"
Subject: Hand tools
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:44:50 -0500

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Well a nickle really, considering that I work for Snap-on and we over charge for everything :)

I was reading on your site about 'who makes what tools' http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/whotools.html. One part explians that the various manufactures use 'the exact same forgings' for all the various brands they sell. This is NOT true for Snap-on tools. Our retail brand Kobalt sold through Lowe's stores, shares very little if any traits with our traditional Snap-on line. They are made in the same plants, but most of the manufacturing tooling is different. They are made by the same UNION skilled machinists useing the same tried and true processes. The designs for these tools are completly different. They use different material and are heat treated differently.

I hope this clears things up slightly
Dan Peronto
Tool Designer
Snap-on Tools
Kenosha Mfg Plant

·
Registered
183 Posts
Snap on is overpirced and I have broke 3 1/2" ratchets made by them in the past year. I guess that I am just hard on tools. I used to use nothing but Mac, but I got out of turning wrenches and sold all of the tools I had. Now I just kind of piece together this and that to get what I need.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My boss has a really big toolbox (it wouldn't fit in my blazer if I tried, I would need a tow bar for it), and its filled with S&K tools. I like them quite a bit, seem to be of great quality. He managed to break a ratchet the other day though, although he is a big big man...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts