GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started sanding my dash today. I'm just on the dash bezel right now. I'm using a Dewalt orbital palm sander with 220 grit right now. It seems to be working pretty good so far. I ran out today because I only had like three discs, but I'll pick some up tomorrow. Any tricks or advice I need to know about doing this? I thought I'd sand as good as I could with 220 and then get the hard to get places by hand and then 220 wet sand, then go to 400 and then wet 400. Is that about it or do I need to know anything else? I'm not the one that's going to be painting it. I'm going to let my painter do it for me! I also thought about painting some pieces of the new 03 console as well too. Prolly just the main top part of it though.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Badassilverado said:
Just take your time and don't skip over any sections, that's how I messed my original one up. Ended up buying a new stock one for $100 ...expensive mistake :ninja:
Yeah I'm going to take my time! I started to just do mine like you did yours but said fuck it and started sanding!

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
cant wait to see it when your finishd with it

somebody needs to do a tech article on how to paint the dash and other plastics, it would help a lot of people out

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks good!!! The outer edges are no problem to sand it's all the cracks and corners and shit!!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See I thought about just sanding and painting the part highlighted on the console. I seen a pic of one done like that a while back. Looked pretty good. Might as well just do it huh?!
Paint.gif

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think that would look good! I'm going to my center console cover next. Hey whats on the pass side floor? Speakers?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quiksilverz71 said:
I think that would look good! I'm going to my center console cover next. Hey whats on the pass side floor? Speakers?
Yeah those are the compoents in the kick panels

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I sanded all freaking day long! Anyway I got the bezel pretty damn smooth, just need to go back over it with some 400 and it's done. I also started on the console too, but found out it's a diff kind of plastic. The bezel is fiberglass like and this is more of a plastic. I started sanding and it's like a fuzzy kind of feeling, not smooth like the bezel. Anybody know what's up? Will it get any smoother when I switch to 400 or higher?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man I sanded my dash along ass time ago and primed it and just put it back in my truck for the time being. And I am so ready to paint it now I'm tired of having a primer gray dash!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I figured once I used a higher grit it would be smooth, but 1000? I'll get some today and try it out.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sanding Update:
Sanded all day yet again today! God I wouldn't do this for a living!! Anyway I sanded everything down with the 220 and then wet 220. Then I sanded everything with a 600 and then wet 600. The soft plastic is smooth as hell now!! Not fuzzy as before. Now I'm finally getting somewhere. I just need to sand a little more in a few areas and then take it to my paint guy to prime and sand some more and then it's on for paint. I'm hoping to have it all done by next week. But I highly doubt that will happen!! Besides I might even start on some other stuff in the truck as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts