GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 gmc k1500 with the 5.7 tbi. I just recently starting having issues it's like the starter is bad or I'm not getting the right amt of voltage to the starter I never had a problem with the truck before. I have replaced both the battery n starter but when I go to crank the truck it just makes a loud click like it's coming from the starter selonoid I have a good ground from battery to motor and good main power from batt to starter any ideas?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the new starter has two three connections on it one is main power which is connected n then it has a S and R on it my old did not I put the ign wire to the S is this correct like I said the old starter just had two the main power n ign thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I have started messing with the truck more the starter is good I can't take jumper cables put ground on the frame of truck n put power on hot wire of starter n it works do I need a separate ground for the starter?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
There should be a ground connected to the starter. If the starter works with jumper cables then you have a wiring issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts