GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm fixing to start 2/4 drop on a 2000 gmc reg. cab 2wd. Is it best to put the rearend on jack stands when removing hangers and will a cut off wheel or air chisel remove the rivets, I hope I can get the bolts in the hangers by the gas tank. Any helpful hints this is my first drop, I have all the air tools and tools needed just no actual game plan.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
I'm going to do the same. I have a titanium air chisel bit that I'll be using so mine will probably go faster.

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
Use an air chisel to cut the rivets. When I did a hanger-shackle kit, we used cut off wheels because we didn't have an air chisel, and it took all day. It should make it go a lot faster for you. Also, you have to drop the gas tank and push it over to the passenger side to get the bolt out. Jackstands will work on the rearend... I always just used a floor jack under the diff, and its always worked fine for me. A bit of advice from my experience though is to support the universal joint and the drive shaft, otherwise it will tilt forwards and pull the drive shaft out of the tranny. Its not a big deal, but just kinda pisses ya off, especially if your working on it by yourself. Good Luck it man! :head:

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
Its not hard to move the gas tank. Just have two bolts to remove in the straps. Just make sure that the tank is almost empty, cuz it's a bitch to get back up in there if its full. But when you go to drop the tank, make sure you have something, like a jack or such under it to hold it up. But once you drop the tank, you just push on it to move it over, and maybe use a block of wood between it and the frame to keep it spaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just did mine last weekend. The gas tank was easy. I also unclipped the fuel lines on the frame so they wouldn't pull and propped it up on a milk crate. No way to do it though without moving it. I used a grinder because I didn't have an air chisel. It was a long process and the top rear rivet doesn't have access for the big disk on a grinder so I ended up using a dremel and going through 5 disks but it worked.

I felt it was easier to have the truck on stands (at the very back for the shackels and in front of the rear end for the hangers) and then use the jack under the pumpkin for raising and lowering the rearend to take load on and off the leafs. It was easy. Also, if by chance you have a trailer hitch, you will need to take it off inorder to get the shackles done.

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your input guy's couldnt do without your help ...This is my first truck and will post pictures soon. thanks again for your time ,,,chris

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Whatever you do, always, and I mean ALWAYS use jack stands. Do not rely on just a floor jack.

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
groundscraper said:
Whatever you do, always, and I mean ALWAYS use jack stands. Do not rely on just a floor jack.

Yes... always use jack stands! I think anyone who would rely soley on a floor jack is a dumbass! :imo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts