GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Good Ash, or Bad Ash?
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, without going to much into detail, I'm getting tired of workign where I do now, even though I'm senior management, and have been prepping to start my own business in custom truck/SUV parts accessories. Its something I've been wanting to do for a few years now, and it just seems like the time is right all the sudden. Up here at least, it seems that most of the stores just cater to the Jeep crowd, and while they CAN get parts for newer GM, Ferd, or Drudge trucks/ Suvs, they just don't stock them.... :nono:
Sooooo... what I'm asking here is- from a fullsize crowd :gmfs:, what would you all like to be able to walk into a store and see? Also, I will be doing internet buying/ shipping, so keep that in consideration. Thanks in advance for all your feedback! :D

-Owen

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive noticed all the places around here, excluding 4wp, dont stock shit. Have a bunch of differnt kinds of tires on display to see and maybe some info on them. Dont have a pic of a bogger but have one on display. Also a lot of teh smaller shit. Ive noticed its actually HARD to find a place that stocks a lot of shit like recovery straps, light bulbs, switches...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I agree with stephen on the comment on stockin the smaller shit. I could not find a place around here that stocked a decent recovery strap...and the one place that did was OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. Try to stock the smaller recovery equipment like tow hooks, various hitches (ive seen some with the hooks on the end instead of the ball), and then maybe stock some KC lights or Hellas or something of that nature...If I can think of more things when I get home, Ill post some more ideas.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
you think it's hard now.. you aint seen nothing yet till you have to deal with stocking parts, dealing with customers, returns, id10ts buying the wrong parts, insurance..

It's a pain in the ass I know first hand because I've did it with a friend of mine.. we didn't last 2 years and the friendship took a hit because of it..

It's a stressfull field of work but I give props to ppl who want to do and accomplish because it makes our sport/hobby better.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
put up a couple spindles, maybe a grill guard or 2, i cant really think of what i would expect to see since i ordered all my stuff off the net, but maybe the TX guys can help....www.XXtuning.com is right around the corner from where i live and in the beginning there werent many parts stocked, but as they grew theres exhaust systems hanging, intakes, bumpers, turbos, all on display...

·
Good Ash, or Bad Ash?
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agreed with the small shit. 4wp up here has SOME of it.. but not a lot. GI Joes has way more... IF you want APC chrome plated crap with flashing LED lights. :nono:

99redsilv said:
you think it's hard now.. you aint seen nothing yet till you have to deal with stocking parts, dealing with customers, returns, id10ts buying the wrong parts, insurance...
Hell, I deal with all that now.. ALONG with a consistantly PO'ed self righteous boss who just started making life miserable. Right now I'm going day to day wondering if he'll flip and fire me, or if I'll flip and quit :crazy:

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
I say you should have most of the main/quality lifts on the wall Example : Have a Rancho Sign, then beneath it give a display of all the various parts you get when buying the lift, also include pictures of trucks with the lifts. Also for other wall decoration get brushgaurds, bull bards, tool boxes, winches, and winch bumpers. Make a prop that goes all the way around the top of the walls, with all different wheels around it. Get tires to cover the floor, and then in glass cases you can put fog lights, etc... All engine repair and performance stuff can go in one isolated section, while small "accessory" stuff, like other guys mentioned in another section. Maybe you could also get a good theme goin to for the place too... I dont know just my .02 :gmfs:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Have a big deal that describes teh advantages/disadvantges of different lifts liek spindle vs non spindle.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sevenfold said:
My biggest complaint when going into shops or truck stores around here is that they overcharge on everything when I can just come on the net and get it for a fraction of the price.
:word:

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
No one in my area stocks after market parts for my Vortec. Valve covers and things like that.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
know ur shit. that has to be my biggest pet peeve of all. I watched my friend spend 3 hours at an audio shop trying to get his amp to work. It was clear after the first 5 mins that the amp was fried. No avoiding it. Turned the system on, the amp got hot when it wasn't even playing. The guy did like 30 ground tests, checked the power wires another 40. Did a circuit break test which was beyond me. Everyone there knew that it was fried. U could smell it. The tech just wouldn't admit that some how he burnt the amp.

YOu won't be able to have everything in stock, but atleast have it so you can get it fast...

Would you have ur shop in Tacoma?

·
Good Ash, or Bad Ash?
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great suggestions so far everyone! I really appreciate it :D Still a long ways out from making it happen, but its getting there. As far as shop location... still not sure. Federal Way or Tacoma probably- though storefront is a long ways off, and I may decide to go internet initially. Probably going to stock a little more for the 4x4 crowd IF I have storefront- just more popular up here it seems. Though, there will be junk sitting around for the lowered crowd as well, as well as the engine mods, body mods, etc. that everyone can use.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
MrFleming007 said:
Great suggestions so far everyone! I really appreciate it :D Still a long ways out from making it happen, but its getting there. As far as shop location... still not sure. Federal Way or Tacoma probably- though storefront is a long ways off, and I may decide to go internet initially. Probably going to stock a little more for the 4x4 crowd IF I have storefront- just more popular up here it seems. Though, there will be junk sitting around for the lowered crowd as well, as well as the engine mods, body mods, etc. that everyone can use.
the reason why i ask, is b/c on cnn they had the list of the most depressing city to live in. Tacoma was number one. I just thought that was kindof weird. My dad has been asking about my friend that goes to UPS if he likes it there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts