GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my yukon i have to give it a good amount of pedal for it to start or just let it crank for a minute until it starts. i figured between all my new parts (battery, starter, fuel pump, and fuel filter) that this thing would crank right up like it did before the first starter i had to put in it. what could it be? im getting new plugs here soon so ill see if that helps any but suggestions would be good.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your FPR - Will the truck hold fuel pressure once the system has primed or does it bleed down?
i wouldnt doubt it since thats the only thing i havent changed really.. any way to test it? and are you talking about once the pump kicks on or after the truck starts? ill have to test the pressure and find out but sometimes after driving the truck for like 10 minutes maybe i can run in somewhere and come out and itll start fine. it also starts just fine in the morning or whenever i start it the first time of the day.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Here's the equipment-free way to see if it's holding pressure:
1. Turn key to "On" but not "Start".
2. Listen for fuel pump.
3. When fuel pump stops, turn to "Start". If it fires up immediately then fuel pressure was the problem.

If that's not it, maybe IACV?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok yeah, i guess it is bleeding off but only after running for more than maybe 10 miles or so. i guess its time for a new FPR? and idk about the iacv, that went in my other truck and there is no relation in problem.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know, i guess i worded it wrong. also another thing. my friend said that the other day he noticed i had smoke from my exhaust i think black. is that bad? it runs just fine great actually and oil pressure is almost perfect as well as temp.

·
This is a bunch of shit!
1,943 Posts
When my FPR crapped out it did not matter if I let the fuel pump prime it would still take a few cranks to get it to start up. Quickest way to test is to hook up a pressure gauge and then shut the truck off. Mine would go to zero within 5 minutes. If it's leaking it's either the FPR or one of the poppets leaking but most likely the FPR.

If it ends up being the FPR and you are going to do the work and have the cash, I would replace the entire spider assembly with the revised version.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so changing the spider/fpr should fix the starting issue and could possibly do something about all the black smoke? also would having catalytic converters that have gone bad like 2 years ago have anything to do with it? sucks cause i just did get my BB in today and im afraid to actually try it out :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts