GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, New here to the forum but have a question. I sold my 82 CJ7 and took in a solid 1977 stepside as part of the deal, and really like the truck but am having a starting issue. I originally thought it was the starter, but after replacing it I do not believe it to be the issue. The starter engages the flywheel but thats it. Once in a while it will turn the engine about an inch or two then stop. I got it from a girl who had the starter replaced and it did not run after that. It was a bad starter and they gave me a new one. reground and checked all cables everything seems good. Someone put some money into the engine and it is possible it is built, since it has a lot of good parts to include MSD ignition box and coil, accel distributer, victor intake, Mickey Thompson valve covers and headers, and many other things. So really my question is if the engine is somewhat built and since I did not see the starter that was taking off originally, could my issue be that I need a high torque starter vice a stock one. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

·
NVG-149 FTW!
501 Posts
Is the battery good? Is the motor free'd up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Battery is good, took it in and had it tested, was fully charged. As for the motor, I can turn the engine over by hand so it is not set up.

·
NVG-149 FTW!
501 Posts
Is there a seperate starer relay anywhere? Did you check the starter leads, and the starer solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a starter relay on the firewall, but is not hooked up and is rusted and looks like they never used it. the starter turns when I drop it down and bump the ignition. I checked all the leads and they look good, did notice when I went to unhook the battery that the cable was getting hot to the touch, not bad but noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts