GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now I remember why I don't go to the dealership for my service issues. Two weeks ago I went to David Maus Chevrolet in Sanford, FL for my oil change, balance and rotate. It's included with my service package. Or so I was led to believe... The tires still had a wobble at highway speeds. Ok, I understand poop happens. No big deal. So I made an appointment at my dealership for Friday to have them rebalanced. When I got there, the service manager tells me they did not balance my tires two weeks ago as I was told. They only rotated them! I have never heard of someone just rotating tires w/o balancing! They wanted to charge me $47 for the balance. That is when I left. I just wasted 90 minutes of my day with drive time. I went over to Discount Tire in Apopka. For just a bit more, they will balance, rotate and fix any flats for the life of my tires. Plus, they are 5 minutes from my house!

I just had to vent... there, I feel better! I wish dealerships all realized that service is just as important as sales from a customer's point of view.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Many times you will get a survey via email or snail mail; get them that way.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,708 Posts
Usually rotation does not include a balance. however did it state balance on your receipt?

Also doubt discount is going to balance them each rotation unless you ask each time

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wish dealerships all realized that service is just as important as sales from a customer's point of view.
This is from what I posted a few days ago ...

FWIW

Dealerships make money BY:
1- Selling New & Used Vehicles (& parts)
2- Non Warranty repairs
3 -Warranty repairs

When an Under Warranty repair comes in the dealer can only charge by the "book hours needed" from GM & not make a mark up on parts, the mechanic makes less per hour as well - so when you show up your last in line for the dealer to make money. Often a new young inexperienced mechanic will get the assignment, and you will get the run around for return visits (hoping you just go away) until your warranty is up.

So buying from a dealership that introduces you the their owner, & top mechanics and their service writer is very valuable to the buyer. Often a dealer will snub the under warranty repair and the "Regional District Rep" will advise you to try a different dealership - in other words telling you the dealer giving you the run around is as useless as you think they are.

It's tough to find a good dealership. in my opinion.

Good dealerships may charge a bit more for the new car, but take care of their customers when there's a prob, and they end up with repeat customers.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
unless there was a problem with balance, i have never heard of balancing tires on a rotate

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've rotated my tires on my 13 every 5k when I do the oil change. I'm at around 28k now and these Bridgestones are getting loud. Pretty pissed off considering how well I monitor their pressure and keep on rotations. I think newer tires are junk, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is from what I posted a few days ago ...

FWIW

Dealerships make money BY:
1- Selling New & Used Vehicles (& parts)
2- Non Warranty repairs
3 -Warranty repairs

When an Under Warranty repair comes in the dealer can only charge by the "book hours needed" from GM & not make a mark up on parts, the mechanic makes less per hour as well - so when you show up your last in line for the dealer to make money. Often a new young inexperienced mechanic will get the assignment, and you will get the run around for return visits (hoping you just go away) until your warranty is up.

So buying from a dealership that introduces you the their owner, & top mechanics and their service writer is very valuable to the buyer. Often a dealer will snub the under warranty repair and the "Regional District Rep" will advise you to try a different dealership - in other words telling you the dealer giving you the run around is as useless as you think they are.

It's tough to find a good dealership. in my opinion.

Good dealerships may charge a bit more for the new car, but take care of their customers when there's a prob, and they end up with repeat customers.
Wrong. Dealerships make more on warranty repairs then customer pay repairs. Warranty repairs are also the most important not because of the money factor but because every customer that has warranty work done gets a survey. As far as service advisors and techs, you live and die by your CSI Survey rating. Usually dealerships give the guy who is available the job, regardless of experience. Parts are marked up on warranty repairs but a certain percentage, not list price.
Not all dealerships are bad places. Most are actually willing to earn your business more than the Discount Tires, Firestones, Midas, etc. If you have a problem with your dealership take it up with your Service Manager until you are satisfied.

·
Administrator
2,645 Posts
I have never had to pay for a balance and rotation through Discount Tire and I didn't even buy my tires for them when I first went. Of course giving me free balance and rotation won my business when I needed new tires, but the first time(and everytime after) I went to DT, they never charged me for any of that.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
We get free oil changes and rotation with the shop Cruze and that does not include balancing the tires.
I worked at the biggest GM dealership in Alaska (not that its that big haha), but techs usually have specialties and the tech who specializes in that category would get the job. For instance, a check engine light would would go to the guy who specializes in driveability problems etc.

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
discount always balances my tires when i rotate for free since i got my tires and wheels from them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts