GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its only when im in reverse, and i turn left or right, my sterring makes quick popping noises. nuthin is broken, any clues what it might be?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Its 1 of 2 things, either
1) your cv shafts are going out or
2) its your steering shaft, they dont come with enough grease on em from GM, its a TSB. You can buy a kit to do it or have a dealer do it. I dont know if it only pops in reverse, but could be depending on the truck. Mine did it for while when turning in forward or reverse and then just stopped for no aparent reason.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
My first guess was CV's going out like DE said. Is there any play in them if you try and move them?

·
Registered
308 Posts
get under your truck and check out your cv boots, if you see grease all around them or any holes or cuts in the boots, chances are that your shafts are bad because they got contaminated by the hole in the boot.....at least thats what they are tellin us at school in the phase i'm in right now

·
6,656 Posts
captainchaos said:
get under your truck and check out your cv boots, if you see grease all around them or any holes or cuts in the boots, chances are that your shafts are bad because they got contaminated by the hole in the boot.....at least thats what they are tellin us at school in the phase i'm in right now
This is typically true, but also the CVs can be goign bad without there being a hole or tear. If there is one its a damn good sign you have a problem though.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
my 2003 silverado is doing this, but in drive and reverse... ill have the dealership[ look at it... ;\

·
Registered
1 Posts
is it just while its in 4wheel drive cause mine does that in 4wd because when you turn sharply there is nothing to keep the wheels rotating same distances
that what you are talking about?

·
Registered
20 Posts
subframe binding?
how did that happen?
i have a superlift and mine makes a pop when turning sharp at slow speeds. i was thinking it was the steering shaft since i noticed a little slack in it when i was replacing my pcm.
how did you narrow it down to the sl subframe?

·
6,656 Posts
SouthernZ71 said:
I had the same problem but it was the Superlift subframe binding....
See why I recomend staying away from superlift :read:

·
6,656 Posts
One occurance on here, Ive seen a lot of problems with them locally, a lot of shops wont even instal them, or if they do make you sign that they wont do ANY warrenty work etc...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
newjersey said:
is it just while its in 4wheel drive cause mine does that in 4wd because when you turn sharply there is nothing to keep the wheels rotating same distances
that what you are talking about?

so far, i really havent used the 4x4 in a while, i really never need it on the beach anymore. But mainly in just 2x4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well, if i had to do over again....i probably wouldn't get the superlift. i don't have any problems(other than this clunking noise in the steering) but i would feel safer with a 1 or 2 piece subframe instead of about 10. but like i said, i don't have any problems as of yet. ok back on topic now...
how do i tell if my intermediate shaft needs serviced?
i gave it a few tugs as i said and it had some slack i thought, just a little though. any suggestions?

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
SouthernZ71 said:
I had the same problem but it was the Superlift subframe binding....
did you never fix the problem? My pop only comes when its been wet or after i have been wheeling, after a while it dries off and doesn't pop, its a wierd ass problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, I finally got it fixed and then sold the truck. For anyone that followed my problem. It was just like the popping you get in the steering that the dealer fixes. Except mine did it when I pulled in, backed out of parking spots or any slow speed turning. I brought it to the original installer 4-5 times and another installer 2-3 times. Each time the problem came back.

Finally ended up taking the truck to Superlift (cause they suck on the phone), they are local to me so the trip wasn't too long! Anyhow, they sent me to a shop that does a lot of their work. About 1 1/2 hours later, the head installer came out laughing! Said that parts were torqued too much.....other parts not torqued enough.....mainly the subframe. He said the half the subframe was super tight and the other half was tightened to spec.

So my problem came from the installer. However, it's partly due to a crappy subframe design.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
My truck is stock right now and the steering does that popping thing its been doing it for a while now I had it in the dealer for this a while ago and they lubed it or whatever they do and it went away for awhile and the just came back so I dont know what to do, my CV's are fine theres no damage or anything but I wish i knew how to fix it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read somewhere that instead of greasing the shaft, some dealers were replacing the whole shaft. Might be worth a shot. I got a new shaft (i think) and the noise went away till the time I sold it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts