GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for those of you that are having probs with a steering pop, clunk or whatever you want to call it. I have a solution that worked for me on my old 2000 Silverado.

Get a can of WD-40 or similar lube, I used a spray lube because the straw made it easy to get inside the rubber grommet. I'm sure you could use regular grease if you can get it in there.

Lube the splines on the inside of the rubber grommet, in the pic you can see a white grease on the outside of the grommet I guess this it what GM now uses. This pic is of my 04 and it has allot of grease in there so I assume that’s how GM resolved this issue. I don’t know how long this do it yourself solution will hold up, but if it starts popping again just lube it again.

By posting this I am not saying it will fix everyone's truck but just that it worked for me.

Here's the pic, I hope his helps some of you.
000_0077.gif

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
can you post the steps you took to get tot that area?

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do anything to get to it, its just in the cab where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Facing your truck it is to the right of the motor. It's going into the cab. It's pretty obivious if you look around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
that sure looks like the brake pedal rod - not the sterring shaft. The steering shaft is going to be at a pretty steep downward angle as it passes through the firewall.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ibthumpin said:
that sure looks like the brake pedal rod - not the sterring shaft. The steering shaft is going to be at a pretty steep downward angle as it passes through the firewall.
You know what you are 100% correct, I didn't take the pic and I wasn't really paying attention to what the pic was of, this is my bad for not double checking and I apologize for my mistake. You can see where to lube if you just follow the steering shaft down under the dash.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brock said:
haha... yooooouuuu jackass, lol
:LOL: Ya I know, I'll try and pay more attention to stuff like that in the future and maybe even get a pic of the right thing. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts