GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if i posted this in the right section but this is the one i am in the most. First off i believe my power steering pump is going out, when i go to turn left the truck turns fine while at a stop and when moving but when i go to turn right at a dead stop the pump just whines and does nothing to help me. When im moving or when i press on the throttle while turning right the pump does work but not perfectly. Does this sound like a power steering pump problem or could it be the lines? I know it has fluid in it but it shows some signs if leakage. Also if it is the pump would yall recomend me getting a oem replacement or upgrading to the agr pump? If i do go with the agr pump would i need to get the agr steering box along with it? I was looking at the agr web site which seems a little out of date, it says if you have an Electronic Variable Orifice(EVO) steering that you need to purchase both the pump and gear box for the agr equipment to work. Can yall tell me if i have the EVO steering? Sorry for the long winded questions but im trying to get everything taken care of at once so i dont have to deal with this again. I am tired of putting money into the front suspension of this truck. While the truck is in the shop im having them put on the cognito idler pivot assembly, which means i have every steering upgrade cognito makes, is there any thing else i should look into purchasing so i wont have to deal with this crap again.
ifs = :supergay: Ands thanks for the help in advance, Jordan:shake:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I think the OEM pump is having a harder time turning due to you wider rims/tires. The AGR pump would be a nice upgrade. I was not aware AGR was making a pump for our NBS style trucks. We have an AGR pump on our CJ and it makes a noticable difference. The turning ratio is smaller (less turns lock to lock), which is nice as well.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pump just started acting like this. ive had the wheels and tires on there for about 2.5 years. I searched and found a couple of guys with agr pumps on NBS, the web site says that it will fit any truck that uses a saginaw p style pump, which is what i think the nbs have.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does any body else have any info, any thing would be much apreciated. And is it fairly easy to change out, is there any special tools needed to take the pully off the pump?

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its about 3/4 full and its fairly dirty. I know since ive had it i have never added any fluid to it or changed the fluid. Thats probably why im having problems with it now.Got it with 48,000miles and it has 127,000 on it currently. The fluid is around the pump but not in excessive quanities and you can smell it when you open the hood. Thanks for info about the pulley puller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts