GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with steering stabilizers? My truck has a pretty good shake at about 40-45 mph and I had heard that a stabilizer should fix it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
a shake sounds like there is some problem that you would be better off fixing at the root. steering stabs are to help for bumpsteer. is the truck shaking, or the steering wheel or what? tire out of balance or out of round maybe?

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
This question gets asked on the forums all the time. Its your tires no doubt. A steering stabalizer is just a dampener. It wont stop the shaking of your truck.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
It would help out with side to side shaking but its your tires most prob.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its mostly just in the steering wheel but it shakes so bad that it makes the whole truck shake. I just had the tires rotated and balanced and it made it better but not perfect by any means. Should I take it to another shop, maybe a lift shop and see if they can do anything about it?

·
Registered
551 Posts
what size tires do u have? with balanceing if u dont stay on top of in every 3,000 then ur tires get wraped?

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Its mostly just in the steering wheel but it shakes so bad that it makes the whole truck shake. I just had the tires rotated and balanced and it made it better but not perfect by any means. Should I take it to another shop, maybe a lift shop and see if they can do anything about it?
Well if the shop that balanced it did their job then your tires could be what they call "cupped". This happens over time if the tires are never balanced they start to wear un-evenly. Once tires are cupped they are a done deal. The tire shops can only balance them to an extent. My old STS tires cupped because I would rotate them every 5k but didnt have them balanced afterwards (which I kick myself in the head for doing) and I had the same problems that you are experiencing right now with the shaking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tires are only 285 75 16 on eagle 16x10 wheels. The guy at the shop is kind of a smart ass and he seemed to think that my ball joints were goin out pretty soon. Do you think this could also be a possibility?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what i thought too. I think im jus gonna take it somewhere else to get it looked at and go from there

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Most people, who drive lifted trucks should have some sort of mechanical background just in case. I see this alot, people asking crazy questions that can be figured out simply by looking and diagnosing your truck, then posting questions with your diagnosis. Dont ask us what the problem is, we cant see your truck from miles and miles away.

·
boogity boogity
987 Posts
my steering wheel shakes between 55 and 65 mph i took it to 4wheel parts to get the tires balanced, there only 2 months old and they said it was the idler arm assembly. Not the pitman arm it self but the idler arm assembly, im gonna upgrade to the cognito assembly and see if that helps. I already have the cognito tierods and the cognito pitman and idler arm braces. This is the last thing to fix so i hope it helps. Fuck sterring wheel shakes, it drives me nuts!

·
Registered
370 Posts
My old STS tires cupped because I would rotate them every 5k but didnt have them balanced afterwards (which I kick myself in the head for doing) and I had the same problems that you are experiencing right now with the shaking.

i had an 01 STS and that bish shook like no tomorrow before i replaced the cupped ass tires. my tire guy said that those continental tires were peices of crap and they all got cupped with or without proper balancing and rotation. prob not ur fault :read:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Maxxis, that was very helpful, as usual.
was that sarcasm? or agreement. I try to help people but typing the same shit all the time gets old. Searching helps on here

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
it could be unbalanced tires...could be steering parts, chassis parts, or hell, sometimes the tires themselves (They can balance fine, but still produce wobble...no way to fix it except putting on new tires). Start with the simple stuff and go from there.

i had an 01 STS and that bish shook like no tomorrow before i replaced the cupped ass tires. my tire guy said that those continental tires were peices of crap and they all got cupped with or without proper balancing and rotation. prob not ur fault :read:
hes talking about the shitty interco STS ATs...not the caddy...lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts