GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to change my steering wheel to something custom but was told i can't lose the air bag or the horn , cruise, and other things wont work????????because they're wired together or something..........it's 02 gmc.......is this true?.......thanks

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
take a look a couple threads down... Quicksilver just painted his interior and he's got a customized STOCK steering wheel. looks pretty good.

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
bigb said:
i wanted to change my steering wheel to something custom but was told i can't lose the air bag or the horn , cruise, and other things wont work????????because they're wired together or something..........it's 02 gmc.......is this true?.......thanks

02GMC. I don't think this year model had any steering wheel controls. If you remove you steering wheel, you will only loose your airbag. It comes with all the horn connections. Cruise and other things are not tied into the steering wheel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
01GMC said:
02GMC. I don't think this year model had any steering wheel controls. If you remove you steering wheel, you will only loose your airbag. It comes with all the horn connections. Cruise and other things are not tied into the steering wheel.
thanks fellas......ya i was wondering if i was getting wrong info..it seems i shouldn't lose anything.....will i get an abs light though?.....maybe allen nelson would be able to shut it down in my custom tune.....

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
bigb said:
thanks fellas......ya i was wondering if i was getting wrong info..it seems i shouldn't lose anything.....will i get an abs light though?.....maybe allen nelson would be able to shut it down in my custom tune.....

ABS light .. if you get that from the steering wheel .. you have more problems .. I assume you mean Airbag light .. since ABS is the brakes?

You will get an Airbag light, however I will be pulling my fuse and seeing if that kills it. I have a few things I want to check to kill the light.

.. If you have an 02 and there are no steering wheel controls, except the horn and Airbag. It's an easy deal .. takes less than an hour.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01GMC said:
ABS light .. if you get that from the steering wheel .. you have more problems .. I assume you mean Airbag light .. since ABS is the brakes?

You will get an Airbag light, however I will be pulling my fuse and seeing if that kills it. I have a few things I want to check to kill the light.

.. If you have an 02 and there are no steering wheel controls, except the horn and Airbag. It's an easy deal .. takes less than an hour.
thats funny....yeah airbag light.....you mean abs doesn't stand for air bag stupid........j/k......let me know what you find .......thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a very smart person suggested taking out the fuse and measuring the current across the gap then go get a resistor to match and plug it into the airbag fuse spot..........this will tell the pcm airbag is fine and shut off light.....i really trust this guys opinion but wanted to put it out there to see what you think........

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
bigb said:
a very smart person suggested taking out the fuse and measuring the current across the gap then go get a resistor to match and plug it into the airbag fuse spot..........this will tell the pcm airbag is fine and shut off light.....i really trust this guys opinion but wanted to put it out there to see what you think........

That's one of my plans. If you place a diaode on the circuit, it will fool the comptuer in to thinking it's getting a response, and light goes away.

I was hoping it would be just as esay to pull the fuse, etc ... It's just as easy to plug in a diaode, but .. I fiqured I got time to mess with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what steps should i do this in do you think......pull fuse, start truck, take reading with meter across fuze gap, shut off truck, put in proper size resistor, ???????????? when i start the truck without the fuze will the air bag light come on and stay on??? when i put the resistor in will the light go off??.............or do i pull the steering wheel , let the airbag light come on, then take readings and find a resistor to make the light go off?????.........opinions appreciated.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts