GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think there has a been a thread about this but I couldn't find it so I'll just ask yall. I have a 96 silverado and how would i got bout takin the steering wheel off it has a airbag. Any help ?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Slawinitup said:
Well I think there has a been a thread about this but I couldn't find it so I'll just ask yall. I have a 96 silverado and how would i got bout takin the steering wheel off it has a airbag. Any help ?
Step 1: Disconnect the battery.

Step 2: Reread Step 1.

Step 3: Ask someone else who knows more than me :imo

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats a steering wheels puller and how the heck u get it off sounds like a pain still want that billetone tho :rocking:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, my experience with steering wheels is really pretty limited, after watching someone take it off an '88 to get to the ignition key cylinder. But, you don't have to go that far in so it may be easier. I know on my '94 the little rubber cap that covers the center pulls right off, and then I think there is a nut in there that has to be removed, then the steering wheel puller (like a big gear puller, except specifically for steering wheels, don't leave home without it), threads into a couple of holes on the steering wheel and pulls it off. Not sure though, havn't seen a newer one, and I have no idea how to deal with the airbag.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
My guess is you probably have like 4 bolts on the backside of the airbag, and then the cover comes off, once its off you will have access to the airbag it self and will have to be unplugged and then unbolted, then the steering wheel will be held on with a retaining nut on a shaft .. the puller is for pulling the part thats pressed onto the shaft, a puller looks something like this

·
Registered
82 Posts
If its the same as the 97+ smaller air bag this should work.

1. Disconnect the battery and pull the airbag fuse. Better safe than sorry.

2. On the back of the steering wheel trim there should be 2 recessed areas with a small torx screw. The torx screw holds the trim piece to the wheel. Right by the torx screw is a small square opening. Stick a small screw driver in and twist. The air bag is just clipped on.

3. Once the air bag is released from the wheel there are 2 connections you need to un-do. 1 is an electrical connector, mine just popped out. #2 is a plastic pin that is spring loaded, push in and twist and it should release.

4. Air bag is released. Remove the single nut that holds the wheel on. Use a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel off the splined shaft.

I can take some pictures tonight if thats not clear enough. What part of TN are you in? I am in West Nashville if you need to barrow my puller.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Matt said:
being 15, i wouldn't take your airbag out. i dont think i will ever remove an airbag, it just doesn't seem very smart to me, especially when you don't have much driving experience.

its there for a reason :imo

thats about the fuckin truth. :shake: i wouldnt take it off either if i were you, hell i've been drivin for almost 12 years and i still wouldnt take mine off. even if you think you are the perfect driver you always have to remember......everyone else on the road is stupid and tryin to kill you. :imo

·
Registered
505 Posts
plus when u disconnect the air bag ur SRS light will come on, and be on until u reconnect the air bag, and get the codes cleared from ur BCM(body control module)

also i would never have someone who dosnt know how to handle an air bag take one off. static discharge from rubbing the air bag on cloth or what not can set the bag off even if its removed from the truck, also its illegal ( at least in california) to not have a drivers air bag, ur looking at major risks just to have a pretty steering wheel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts